Play Classic Games Site - SSG - SSI - Atomic Games - etc.

Started by ArizonaTank, December 07, 2019, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Saw a FB post about Classic Games. Basically the site allows you play games using a browser linked to a dos emulator.  So you aren't downloading anything, just using your browser as a window into the server running the game. They do not charge for accessing and playing the games. They do ask for donations.

They have many SSI and SSG titles as well as the Atomic games V for Victory series. For example Velikiye Luki and Stalingrad.

https://playclassic.games/games/turn-based-strategy-dos-games-online/play-v-victory-velikiye-luki-online/

https://playclassic.games/games/turn-based-strategy-dos-games-online/play-world-at-war-stalingrad-online/

A quick look at the "who are we" page makes them out to be from Slovakia. I guess they at least think they are operating legitimately. I am no IP lawyer, but I guess they might be in a "grey area". Possibly that they own a copy of the game, and you are just accessing their machine running the game over the internet. Kind of like that old streaming movie service in the US that would hook you into an actual DVD machine running a legitimate copy of the movie for you (I don't know what happened to them).

Play Classic Games make a statement that copyright holders who don't want their games on the site can ask to have them be removed. Given that most of these companies are long gone, and the games are from the 80s and 90s, I doubt they get many requests...if any.

Hopefully someone with a better legal background can opine as to the legitimacy of this approach.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

IronX

I used to love those games!

But OMG, girlfriend, time has not been kind. Were they really that bad?

RhinoBones

Don't know about the legality, but it sure smells like a way to load a virus on your computer.

Regards, RhinoBones

Huw the Poo

Quote from: RhinoBones on December 07, 2019, 08:08:36 PM
Don't know about the legality, but it sure smells like a way to load a virus on your computer.

No more than any other website.  It's just a DOSbox emulator accessed via an instance of Java.  If your browser is up to date you should be fine.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 08, 2019, 04:19:37 AM
Quote from: RhinoBones on December 07, 2019, 08:08:36 PM

No more than any other website.  It's just a DOSbox emulator accessed via an instance of Java.  If your browser is up to date you should be fine.

Agree, much safer than actually downloading the game and running it on your PC.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.