Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Michael, you should always go to your account on BFC and download the distfiles linked in your previous orders menus.

The downloads behind that get updated behind the scenes without notice. They are always all-at-once installers, so the way to go for installations. No patches.

-budd-

Quote from: Redwolf on December 01, 2019, 10:56:12 AM
Michael, you should always go to your account on BFC and download the distfiles linked in your previous orders menus.

The downloads behind that get updated behind the scenes without notice. They are always all-at-once installers, so the way to go for installations. No patches.

You sure about that?
I ask because i just ran into my first issue with patching. I was a patch behind for CMBN and CMRT, so i had to update from 4.01 and 2.01 respectively to the .02 versions. CMBN patched just fine, CMRT only shows black screen after patch, no menu, but i can hear the music. i sent in a support ticket.

I check my install file from my orders and its date from 2015 for the created date, doesn't the created date get updated when the files change? i'd much rather download a patch then the 6 gig installer every time though.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Michael Dorosh

I don't know what you mean. I went to my account on BFC to order the module. There was nothing to download. I had to go to the link mentioned on the forum in order to get the V2.10 patch/module. If I hadn't read this forum, telling me to read that forum, I would have had no idea. First world problems to be sure.

QuoteThe downloads behind that get updated behind the scenes without notice. They are always all-at-once installers, so the way to go for installations. No patches.

I don't know what this means either. I thought the V2.10 patch WAS the module.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 12:25:57 PM

I don't know what you mean. I went to my account on BFC to order the module. There was nothing to download. I had to go to the link mentioned on the forum in order to get the V2.10 patch/module. If I hadn't read this forum, telling me to read that forum, I would have had no idea. First world problems to be sure.

QuoteThe downloads behind that get updated behind the scenes without notice. They are always all-at-once installers, so the way to go for installations. No patches.

Then go to the 'My orders' page.
Click on the 'click to view' next to the order.
On that page you will find the key and download link (bottom of the screen).

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 01, 2019, 01:40:09 PM

There is no download link, just a key.

Redwolf

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 12:25:57 PM

No. Modules, downloads and code have nothing to do with each other anymore.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on December 01, 2019, 01:40:09 PM

There is no download link, just a key.

Is there a link in the base game order.  This download will probably contain the module that you just have to activate (might also need to enter the key for the base game after installation).

This is the case for Black Sea but here it is mentioned that you don't need a download :

CMBS Battle Pack 1
CMBS-P1V4
There is no download for this product

Old TImer

I had to buy the Rome to Victory module to get a serial key, which I then
activated in CMFI.  So now I have the entire package.  Helps to already
have the Gustav Line module installed and patched to 2.10

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: gregb41352 on December 01, 2019, 06:54:46 PM
I had to buy the Rome to Victory module to get a serial key, which I then
activated in CMFI.  So now I have the entire package.  Helps to already
have the Gustav Line module installed and patched to 2.10

I did have GL installed.

But, I was only at V2.02

Anyway, the postings here got me to the right page, so I cancelled my support ticket.

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 09:07:07 AM
Incidentally, what is the timeframe for this new module? I presume it goes to May 1945? Which IIRC is a first for the CMX2 games?
The time frame for the new Fire and Rubble module is to indeed to go to the end of the war. However Frotress Italy Rome to Victory is the first to get to the end of the war for the CM2 games.

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 10:24:02 PMI did have GL installed.

But, I was only at V2.02

Anyway, the postings here got me to the right page, so I cancelled my support ticket.
I am glad you are up and running.

BFC a while back changed their philosophy and their build process. While previously you had to install bits and pieces and activate each one now everyone who is patched to the latest version has all the bits and pieces and you activate the modules and packs you bought. On you HD you have everything. This allows you to play some of the new content against people who do not yet own that content. Which is kinda cool for use PBEM players.
Clearly the documentation did not spell that out well. It also sounds like there was two emails sent that only combined could you get the full picture.
At any rate the thing to remember is to patch up to the latest version and activate the new key - then you will be good to go.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: A Canadian Cat on December 02, 2019, 05:39:17 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 01, 2019, 10:24:02 PMI did have GL installed.

But, I was only at V2.02

I am glad you are up and running.

BFC a while back changed their philosophy and their build process. While previously you had to install bits and pieces and activate each one now everyone who is patched to the latest version has all the bits and pieces and you activate the modules and packs you bought. On you HD you have everything. This allows you to play some of the new content against people who do not yet own that content. Which is kinda cool for use PBEM players.

That is good news.

QuoteClearly the documentation did not spell that out well. It also sounds like there was two emails sent that only combined could you get the full picture.

There was no documentation. The two emails I got didn't say a word about it. I had to come here to figure it out, and find the link. Software guys make the worst documentarians - which is why technical writers are a thing. :-)

Elvis

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 02, 2019, 09:03:48 AM

There was no documentation. The two emails I got didn't say a word about it. I had to come here to figure it out, and find the link. Software guys make the worst documentarians - which is why technical writers are a thing. :-)

FWIW, this is not the only place where the information could be found. Before the pre-order notification emails went out, the purchase page for R2V changed to reflect that v2.10 was required for R2V. It also says that there is no download for the product. The patches page was changed to include the 2.10 patch long before the pre-order notifications went out (I probably did that at 7am Friday and the pre-orders started going out around 2:30pm). And I made the post that you were given on this forum to the Battlefront forum about 6pm Friday. It wasn't until sometime Saturday that the homepage was updated to announce the module release. All of this piece by piece release is done to mitigate issues that have occured with past releases. And some of the thought process is that if someone who didn't pre-order is finding out the module is released they are finding it out (for the most part) from Battlefront forum posts....which is also where the post you were linked to is. I've been giving some additional thought to this to improve on it more. One thought is to announce/discuss it at great length long before a module/Pack release so the anyone following along that isn't familiar with the process will expect it and be ready for it before it's released.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Elvis on December 02, 2019, 11:24:13 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 02, 2019, 09:03:48 AM

FWIW, this is not the only place where the information could be found. Before the pre-order notification emails went out, the purchase page for R2V changed to reflect that v2.10 was required for R2V. It also says that there is no download for the product. The patches page was changed to include the 2.10 patch long before the pre-order notifications went out (I probably did that at 7am Friday and the pre-orders started going out around 2:30pm). And I made the post that you were given on this forum to the Battlefront forum about 6pm Friday. It wasn't until sometime Saturday that the homepage was updated to announce the module release. All of this piece by piece release is done to mitigate issues that have occured with past releases. And some of the thought process is that if someone who didn't pre-order is finding out the module is released they are finding it out (for the most part) from Battlefront forum posts....which is also where the post you were linked to is. I've been giving some additional thought to this to improve on it more. One thought is to announce/discuss it at great length long before a module/Pack release so the anyone following along that isn't familiar with the process will expect it and be ready for it before it's released.

I didn't pre-order and I don't read the BFC forum. I heard that the module was out, so I went to the game page on the BFC site, clicked, and ordered. I got an order confirmation by email, and a shipping confirmation. The order with activation key also showed up in my account page on the BFC site. There was no indication of what I needed to do to get the program running.

Regardless of how extensively it was discussed, it wouldn't have mattered in the case of anyone like me who isn't following the discussions.

If that's the way you want to do it, I would suggest a link to that discussion in the shipping confirmation. I understand that is an automated process, but it would just be a short addition. "Battlefront.com is committed to improving your customer experience. Our new product activation process is designed to save the end user time and frustration. For details on installing your new module/patch/upgrade, please see the discussion at the following URL:"

Michael Dorosh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall there being very little actual benefit to pre-ordering BFC stuff anyway. The price is the same, and there is no appreciable delay between general release and pre-orders. The one advantage I can think of is you can order and forget about it, and as soon as it is ready, you get your notification that you can go ahead and install it.

That's not a criticism, it's actually easier to control my spending if I have to wait until release, and then assess whether I really need it or can prioritize it then, as opposed to being surprised six months after I preorder by a hit on my credit card, which has happened for example with ASL stuff I forgot I ordered.