2018 Running World Cup Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, June 18, 2018, 06:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: mirth on June 27, 2018, 02:27:16 PM
Watching a soccer game is like watching the grass grow, but with a soccer game in the way.

Isn't there more scoring in a grass growing game?

bayonetbrant

Y'all can make fun of soccer all you want but so far there's been only one game that finished 0-0, and that was yesterday's France-Denmark game where both teams already knew they were advancing and just didn't want to get anyone hurt before the knockout rounds.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

I thought they had a magic spray they used is someone got hurt so they could keep playing.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

They've all been 0-0 games as far as I'm concerned. 0 interest on my part and 0 minutes watched :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pete Dero

If they could brake up the game in smaller parts (time-outs ?) so the US TV channels could throw in a bunch of commercials, they might be more inclined to show games.

mirth

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 28, 2018, 11:13:07 AM
If they could brake up the game in smaller parts (time-outs ?) so the US TV channels could throw in a bunch of commercials, they might be more inclined to show games.

throw in an absurdly long season and you might be on to something  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

OJsDad

What makes you think live games aren't shown here in the US.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 28, 2018, 11:13:07 AM

There's no shortage of soccer on TV over here.  We typically get 3-5 EPL games/week on NBC Sports, and often another on "Big" NBC, and all commercial-free.

MLS typically has at least 2 games/week (1ea on Fox Sports and ESPN)

Fox Sports shows 3-4 Bundesliga games each week, plus they have Champions League, Europa League, and FA Cup contracts, and between FS1 and FS2, on weeks where there's UCL/EL games, we'll get at least 6 live games, and another 4-6 on delay, especially during group stages, all live in the afternoon here, midweek.

BeIN Sports has La Liga and Serie A, so you can get a lot of those games, but you're paying for extra channels at that point.

None of this includes digital-only subscriptions like NBC Gold or ESPN+ which have a ton of games, including English Championship and USL (2nd tier US league).

Heck, we have a local station here that broadcasts the NCFC (local USL team) over-the-air for all home games.
(fun fact, the color commentator - Jason Garey - is a former player for the team here who grew up in Louisiana, playing on youth soccer teams with 2 of my cousins, until he graduated high school and headed to Maryland for college)

airboy

^ The Insomniac  Channel - when you cannot get to sleep any other way, try soccer.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on June 28, 2018, 12:12:42 PM
^ The Insomniac  Channel - when you cannot get to sleep any other way, try soccer.

that's channelS, plural

if soccer was such a losing proposition, why are the big broadcasters sinking more money into showing games?

I get that you might not be entertained by it (I don't enjoy watching NASCAR) but clearly there's enough of a market for it to get at least 4 different broadcast families involved (NBC, ESPN, Fox, BeIN)

MetalDog

I won't commit to watching anything past the World Cup, but, I have enjoyed what I've watched.  I have even gotten up early enough the last three weekends to watch several full matches and parts of others.  I like that there's no commercials.  And extra time is just cool as hell.  I'll be up early both days this weekend to catch both matches each day.  Can't wait!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

Yeah, but you like baseball too, so there's already evidence that you have no taste.

bayonetbrant

Don't mind them MD. I might even give you a break from puns for a few days to allow you to concentrate :)

mirth

Soccer, the only sport that makes me enjoy baseball.