Main Menu

Game Project

Started by WW2 tactics, May 25, 2020, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 27, 2020, 02:16:12 PM
If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

Hear, hear!

This is such a great quote, I had to sig-ify it  O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

SDR makes our corner of the Internet a better place.  For a long time his sig line was a picture of one crow with the caption, "Attempted Murder."  Always made me chuckle when I saw it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

The_Admiral

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 25, 2020, 08:12:21 PM

You have to have a bit of a thick skin here sometimes.  If you've been lurking it's par for the course.  Trust me, if you actually show us something that moistens the loins we'll be all in.  Ask the Admiral and his game Task Force Admiral.   We're also friendly to people that are upfront. 

Thanks SirAndrew!
In regard of the original topic though, I will venture the guess that it's always easier to get people to involve themselves in your dream if you pay them for their time upfront. Although there was a long brewing time to TFA and prototypes were made long before the first salary got sent, still it's only when I could make sure my dev could work on it full time (and convinced him of my own motivation and my ability to carry us there) that I started to have any hope of getting that thing done someday. And it's all the truer with our asset artists (3D & 2D) who live from people ordering work from them usually. It also shows that you're serious about your vision, that is if there's any vision to boot.

Not wanna criticize community-centered work as a concept there, but being all united together in a common project we'd all have a say in (I mean, where everybody's a designer beyond his natural skill set) while doing it for free is the recipe for never releasing anything. Someone has to make sure the money flows in the project and the others have to work their butts to make it happen, and have a motivator for it beyond just passion (that will make their work better & special eventually, but doesn't feed people). As a producer you will be forced to be serious about it because it is mostly your money. As co-workers they have to be serious about it because it's your money - and because you made sure to pick reliable, efficient & true people (which is, like, VERY HARD in real life if you've ever heard about it ^^). It's all the more challenging when, like you and me, we have no creative talent and still are in charge of putting & keeping all these people and their work together. Fortunately, there again Life is as good a school as it gets.

My 2 cts in rookie game management. Not that we've published a game, but at least we made it pretty & convincing enough to get to stage 2 of getting a publisher interested in it. That's all the luck I wish you, but there's a long way to go :)
So, really in a way, screw our opinion at this stage. I'd advise you to prepare a multiple-pages pitch of what you want to make instead, and show it to us then, and only then will you have efficient, useful feedback. Go find what your killer features are, and share them with us :)
And from there you shall grow your community more easily - and not from here, and not from now, that is my feeling.

WW2 tactics

Thanks for the feedback. I knew I came to the right community. I hear what you say and things are developing daily so attached a PDF as a "pitch". One of the reasons why I am moving it forward with or without support is to avoid analysis paralysis but of course getting specific expertise that would take years to develop would move the project forward faster. I don't expect for anyone to work for free, I do because it's my dream and although I have a fulltime job not related to this I don't consider this a job, I don't expect anyone to share the sentiment but I cannot promise funding until like you there is a proven concept and that will definitely take time, but if done correctly it will come. As things progress the project will become more private join the discord to follow https://discord.gg/jaA3cD.

The_Admiral

I am afraid this PPT won't cut it bro, not at this stage.
My advice, head over there, loads of great resources

https://gamedocs.org/

On our end we've been using Chris Taylor's template initially for the first prototype. It's a fine way of making sure that you have everything you need
http://gamedocs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ctaylordesigntemplate.docx

You can access the full list of documents here
https://gamedocs.org/documents/

Btw opening a discord now is simply useless IMHO. It's more interesting to build a community from exchange and dialogue on a public platform that can be easily linked to rather than retreat into some cave that nobody will know about till you actually announce something. Find a spot to make it your tavern and stick to it, you shall move to somewhere else where people can't find you all in due time when the community is there already.

Cheers mate, good luck!

WW2 tactics

This project is early early stages as in 2 weeks early stages just about a few days before I posted here. So far I just downloaded unity and blender and got some nice animations started. Never done any of this type of work before so any advice, help, encouragement, even expectation management advice, whatever will help to move it along is welcomed and thanks for sharing that link, will definitely get me a better starting place.