Main Menu

Space Empires V

Started by Jarhead0331, January 28, 2018, 12:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 28, 2018, 07:55:10 PM
The game runs very poorly for me. Even menus in the game creation mode cause the FPS to plummet. Most of the advice I've found online does not help.

I think there is a way to fix that. I'll have to dig around to see if I can find out where I saw it. A lot of the online stuff didn't help me either. Do you have the Steam version?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Yup. Steam version. Running it in windowed mode seems to help a lot, but then the window is pretty small. I saw a script that runs it in windowed mode with a full screen, but it looked like way too much work to apply it for this game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Jarhead, here's a screenshot of what my SEV Setup tab looks like:

I also had to edit Hudsettings.txt (in the data folder) to change:

Windowed Width                              := 1920
Windowed Height                             := 1000

I changed the 3D device in Setup. I have a nvidia card.
Also, I am not using any compatibility settings for the exe.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Thanks bbmike. I changed my display adaptor from what you have to my nvidia card. This drastically improved the framrate but gave me a fairly small window to play in. Everything else looks the same.

I'll try tinkering with hudsettings file...but I'm not going to put too much more effort into this. Not convinced it's really worth it,
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: OJsDad on January 28, 2018, 06:44:34 PM
Perhaps it was the late game crashes and some AI issues.

I recall SE5 ran like shit on newer Windows OSes shortly after it came out.

It would be a steady low FPS stutterfest on WinVista and Win7 back in the day.  Would run SO SLOW.  Don't recall them fixing it during that period, either, so everyone past using WinXP just went back to SE4.

Millipede

I've been dinking around with SE5 for the last 6 or 7 days and have been really enjoying it. Even playing against the AI hasn't been too bad... so far. I found a pretty good Let's Play (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-RmUv08T-01c9RzO6ERFGqTumu8hsucP) and set the game parameters up pretty much the same and the AI is doing okay. Those videos show the depth and complexity of the game really well... the strategic possibilities are nearly endless.

Anyway, my fond memories of multi-player SE5 have been re-lit and I'm ready to host a game if there is sufficient interest. As I said in an earlier post, I think 4 or 5 would be ideal but that's just a ball park figure. Speak up if you want in.

W8taminute

^Good video series.  I've never really liked SEV but then again I never really took the time to properly learn it.  Perhaps I should watch these vids and try again.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

Take a look at the manual. There is A LOT that you can mod in SEV. If only there were a modern space 4x that followed the same options. Highly mod-able and a hotseat mode.  :smitten:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mkivcs

Had this game for years but no played it a great deal as most of comments regarding AI were a bit negative. Just reloaded and seems to run fine. Would be up for a MP game

Millipede

Quote from: mkivcs on February 05, 2018, 08:31:31 AM
Had this game for years but no played it a great deal as most of comments regarding AI were a bit negative. Just reloaded and seems to run fine. Would be up for a MP game

Excellent! That's two of us... we need, at least, one more and hopefully two or three.

OJsDad

Sigh, reinstalling now. 

Are you going to use any mods for the MP game.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Millipede

Quote from: OJsDad on February 05, 2018, 06:57:20 PM
Sigh, reinstalling now. 

Are you going to use any mods for the MP game.

You're joining us? That's great and would put us at three. Hopefully we can get one or two more. We'll be using the Balance Mod v1.20 (http://www.captainkwok.net/balancemod.php). We'll be using the play-by-web facility at http://pbw.spaceempires.net and you'll have to set up an account. If you're using Firefox you'll get a security warning (apparently Firefox decided that the certificate utility that PBW has used forever is no longer valid) but Internet Explorer doesn't object at all... I don't know about any other browsers.

OJsDad

Where can I find the latest patches for SEV.  I'm on the Malfador web site but none of the links seem to work.

NM, I found it.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

W8taminute

Well I tried to access the game via Strategy Firsts game account library and I found out that Strategy First is gone.  Years ago I purchased SEV directly from them for the amazing low price of 3.99.  Still have my product registration key but no where to re-download the game. 

Hence I've added the game to my Steam wishlist and will just wait for the price to drop below 5.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

Quote from: W8taminute on February 06, 2018, 07:38:48 AM
Well I tried to access the game via Strategy Firsts game account library and I found out that Strategy First is gone.  Years ago I purchased SEV directly from them for the amazing low price of 3.99.  Still have my product registration key but no where to re-download the game. 

Hence I've added the game to my Steam wishlist and will just wait for the price to drop below 5.

I still have the original installation file from them. I'll have to find it when I get home but I'm sure I could provide you a download link to it. You will need your product registration key, though, as it will not work without it.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak