Consolidated Soccer Season 2017-18

Started by bayonetbrant, August 20, 2017, 07:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Place to discuss all things footie-related for the 17-18 season (and the back half of the MLS season...)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I will say the fantasy league I'm in for the EPL has some guys with very clever team names...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

can you imagine a former player in a US sport tweeting this about a coach/manager getting fired?  ;D

https://twitter.com/ShaunTeale/status/909116523746349056

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

US bombed out of the next World Cup. We're not going for the first time since 1990.

Time to focus on the Olympics, and see if we can't steal a Gold Cup or two.

Atilla60

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2017, 10:52:22 PM
US bombed out of the next World Cup. We're not going for the first time since 1990.

Time to focus on the Olympics, and see if we can't steal a Gold Cup or two.

That sucks.
US didn't even qualify for play-off matches?
What went wrong?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Atilla60 on October 11, 2017, 12:30:59 PM
US didn't even qualify for play-off matches?
Nope, finished 5th in a 6-team group

Quote from: Atilla60 on October 11, 2017, 12:30:59 PM
What went wrong?
There's a 20k character limit on posts here, so there's not enough time to elaborate.

Dug themselves a hole with stupid tactics in Columbus vs Mexico that put them in a hole to start qualifying
Played like shit against Costa Rica in New Jersey and lost a game that Costa Rica never should've been competitive in
Lost 2-1 to T&T on the last night when just a tie would've locked up an auto-qualifying place, b/c coach got too cute and put too many attackers out there and left the best central defender on the bench.

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

I watched an interesting documentary on bbc one a few nights back with Alan Shearer . I remember shearers glory days playing for England , always thought he was a great player :)

This was all about the link between heading the ball and developing dementia later on in life . I thought he handled it really well . It's intresting that the states have banned heading the ball in training for under 11s , I think that's a great idea , I think it should be rolled out in the UK.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this ? Ban heading the ball entirely , or not ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

can't / won't ban it entirely, but limiting it for younger kids does 2 things - it's a good safety issue, but it also discourages coaches from just kicking high balls toward the kid who happened to hit is growth spurt first, and force them to learn to play the right way

Emeraldlis

That sounds like it's the best way to coach kids . I don't think heading the ball will ever be banned in the sport , and I think gameplay would suffer if they ever did . But like you said , they probably won't ever ban it .....or can't ban it .

It looks like the FA in the UK are brushing this issue under the carpet though . Probably worried about getting lawsuits for previous injuries , if the link is ever proved about dementia . Meantime , kids in UK suffer .

Glad you guys in the states are taking kids health and safety seriously .

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 05, 2017, 10:36:17 AM
can't / won't ban it entirely, but limiting it for younger kids does 2 things - it's a good safety issue, but it also discourages coaches from just kicking high balls toward the kid who happened to hit is growth spurt first, and force them to learn to play the right way

When Jake played I helped coach, I would line the kids up, and toss high balls to them.  No heading.  Try and get control of the ball.  I don't think we ever practiced heading. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.