Space 1999 - Eagle!!!!!!!

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I was a MASSIVE fan of Space 1999. The 2 seasons were between 1975 and 1977 and had 24 episodes each.

I really wanted one of these when I was a kid. Not the models - but the metal "corgi" ones I think they were...but we were too poor. One guy at school had one and we all looked...drooling.

Anyway. For the last couple of years, after taking up scale modelling again, I occasionally looked around for one and found them - but never quite managed to push the buy button.

But this time I caved and spent my Christmas money on this baby and the sucker is mine and - for the first time in my life - I'll be a very proud owner of a Space 1999 Eagle.

**I know all that sounds quite sad - but I am soooo excited to own one of these. AND - I get to make it!**
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It will be a while before I get to this one, but - the unboxing - what comes in the box. I warn ya - it's "lite"

And the instructions

The decals

And an extra wee treat - a card with one of the characters from the show. This one has the one me and my brother used to fight over playing when we were flying our pretend Eagles in the bedroom (bunk beds!)...Carter

All in all - a very happy bunny.

Like I said, it'll be a while - but I'll be on it as soon as I can
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

Excellent....have fun. I loved it too....i even have two Eagles in metal.

Staggerwing

Nice find JD. I built one of those when I was a kid.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

I loved that show! Haven't seen it in years, though. Cool ship!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

eyebiter

Dinky made a die cast Eagle in at least three colors (Green, Blue, and White)

The green transporter seems to be the most common.

LongBlade

I see that periodically on Amazon when I flip through their models. Been tempted to give it a try a few times but haven't yet.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

you dont want me to get started on all the aftermarket stuff thats out for 1999 kits.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

DUDE.

One of my biggest 'holy shit' moments as a wee lad was opening a closet at home shortly before Christmas and seeing the Space: 1999 Eagle playset box sitting there staring at me. I remember being mesmerized (as mesmerized as a man would be by boobs, but I was still pretty young then) and staring for a good long while, but finally had the sense to close the closet door and pretend I saw nothing, noth-ink...

In fact, it was THIS very toy...and boy did this bring back a lot of memories:

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on January 16, 2016, 11:29:23 AM

oh Yeah!!!!

Close, but that's from UFO, Space:1999's sort-of predecessor.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 16, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
DUDE.

One of my biggest 'holy shit' moments as a wee lad was opening a closet at home shortly before Christmas and seeing the Space: 1999 Eagle playset box sitting there staring at me. I remember being mesmerized (as mesmerized as a man would be by boobs, but I was still pretty young then) and staring for a good long while, but finally had the sense to close the closet door and pretend I saw nothing, noth-ink...

I remember getting the Space 1999 Walkie Talkies for Christmas. I wanted the Eagle playset but never got it. The walkie talkies were cool.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 16, 2016, 06:59:58 PM
Quote from: bob48 on January 16, 2016, 11:29:23 AM

oh Yeah!!!!

Close, but that's from UFO, Space:1999's sort-of predecessor.

I had a UFO lunchbox as a kid. Wish I still did...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

I remember building this one back when I was young:

The big hanger-looking thing is a blowup of Mission Control with it's levels and stations. At the time painting all the little figures was a pain, with their different sleeve colors. Now It would probably be soothing...

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.