Main Menu

Critter R.I.P.

Started by Bison, May 13, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: acheatham on June 18, 2012, 07:45:01 AM
i have been looking everywhere for you guys, wanted to say thank you martok i wasnt able to meet you when you were there, at least not properly introduced sorry but thank you for the card with everybodys name in it.  let me introduce myself i'm amanda cheatham his oldest daughter.  and i was a big daddy's girl which meant i sat half the time and watched dad post to these forums or play the war games(i can play everything but stratigic wargames).  i always looked up to my dad and was very proud the day i found out(which was after the day of service) that there was a globel network who is missing him almost as much as me.  again thank you and if you want to talk or ask questions im ok with that.

sincerly
amanda cheatham
Hey Amanda!  I'm very glad you found us.  :D 

(I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you and your siblings that day I was in St. Charles for the funeral.  I was on a tight schedule that weekend, and I knew I wouldn't be able to stay in Missouri for very long before I had to head back up to Wisconsin/Minnesota.) 

Yeah, your dad was a good guy -- which of course, you already knew! -- and he's missed by an awful lot of us as well.  It was hard enough losing a friend; I can only imagine what it's been like for you to lose your father (especially so quickly/unexpectedly).  I'm glad we've been able to help you cope, though; that makes us feel better too.  :) 

Tell your mom I say hello! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Greetings, Amanda.  All of us who knew your dad, even slightly, were glad that Martok was able to come and express sympathy for all of us.  I enjoyed playing games online with him.  I had hoped that one day, his route would take him through my own small little town.  I would like to have had dinner and a beer with him and talk history and games and life.  He is missed.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Hi Amanda...your Dad really helped me out big time last year when I lost my job. He was a generous guy and stepped up to help me out and I will remember that. All the best to you and your family.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

From ScottP at Wargamer -

QuoteCritter's love for wargames and especially Decisive Campaigns can never be forgotten. This was discussed with the team at Slitherine/Matrix Games and we'll be putting a mention to Critter in the credits of Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

That seems like a nice way of honoring Critter.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

^ agreed.  Good move on S&M's part.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Azzurri

Amanda, I met Critsker personally when he was down in Houston...big giant of a man with a heart and spirit to match...I'll miss our texts and chating with him on the phone about our favorite topic: basically BS & wargames....!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GroggyGrognard

Bless your heart, Amanda for your tenacious courage through what must be a difficult time for you.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Bison

Amanda

I just wanted to offer you my sincerest condolences for the loss of your father.  He made a very generous gesture and sent a care package to me while I was deployed that had some pictures colored by his grand daughters.  It was very thoughtful and touching gesture on his part. 

I hope that you and your family are finding comfort and peace in the knowledge of just how many people your father touched during his life.

Martok

I thought this was pretty cool... 

A fellow over in the Matrix forums apparently noticed the following on his copy of Decisive Battles: Case Blue (the sequel to Decisive Battles: Warsaw to Paris, the game critter was buried with): 

"DEDICATION
In memory of
Raymond W. "Critter" Cheatham, Jr.,
from his friends at Matrix Games."

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on August 02, 2012, 02:06:16 PM

A fellow over in the Matrix forums apparently noticed the following on his copy of Decisive Battles: Case Blue (the sequel to Decisive Battles: Warsaw to Paris, the game critter was buried with): 

"DEDICATION
In memory of

That was a nice gesture.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 02, 2012, 02:09:54 PM

"DEDICATION
In memory of

That was a nice gesture.

+1 A classy thing to do.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Shelldrake

Quote from: LongBlade on August 02, 2012, 02:09:54 PM

"DEDICATION
In memory of

That was a nice gesture.

I agree. I bet Critter is wearing a grin where ever he is.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell