Possible virus alert on the site?? "McAfee.com/activate"??

Started by JasonPratt, April 06, 2020, 07:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I logged into the forum this morning on a system I've used a lot (including on this forum), namely an old PowerPC G5 Macintosh running OS 10.4.11; using TenFourFox, a Firefox fan-mod (because there are no updated browsers for this system officially in years) with current updates so far as I recall.

I was looking at the top five recent forum topics to start with, as usual, when I noticed a peculiar thread title, as shown in the screenshot I snapped below: Mcafee.com/activate. Worse, supposedly I started that thread! -- back on April 03 (i.e. last Friday), 2020, which I know I didn't do!

In fact, the thread is one I started but for discussing the new Guadalcanal game announced on Steam by the Killerfish group last week, as I discovered when clicking the "new" button (i.e. new posts since I was last here).

I can confirm the same thing shows up on my Surface 3 Pro running fully updated Win 8.1, on fully updated Firefox, with fully updated Avast.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Apparently a spambot or spammer got onto the site and retitled the thread with a wildly offtopic post, now already destroyed by the ad/mods!  O0 :notworthy:

Good, nothing more to see here then, carry on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

in the future, just report the post or send a PM. No need to start a whole thread and panic the entire forum.  :crazy2:

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I did start that way, but the pm wouldn't allow me to attach a snapshot (and I'm not where I could send it to my Imageshack account). I thought the snapshot might be important.