What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I am currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Greybriar on September 19, 2016, 05:51:06 PM

I've heard of that one! Don't tell us how it ends!   8)

bbmike

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 19, 2016, 07:23:47 PM

The whale lives.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

I finished Agent of Byzantium by Harry Turtledove.  I got it for $1.99 and it was meh. 

JasonPratt

Quote from: bbmike on September 20, 2016, 05:14:40 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 19, 2016, 07:23:47 PM

The whale lives.

Kolchak, however.... ......
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on September 20, 2016, 09:31:53 AM
I finished Agent of Byzantium by Harry Turtledove.  I got it for $1.99 and it was meh.

I had the same reaction when I first read it many years ago.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Just started Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I just started reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Greybriar on September 23, 2016, 02:42:51 PM
I just started reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.

I have had that book for years but have yet to start it. LMK what you think after a chapter to two.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

If you like Tolkien, I think you would like it. I am enjoying it so far.

MetalDog

It's been thirty years since I read The Dragonbone Chair.  The thing I remember most is not liking it.  Too close to Tolkien iIrc.  Ymmv.  Hope you enjoy, Greybriar.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Finished the fourth of the original MtG novels, The Final Sacrifice by Clayton Emery, at brunch a few minutes ago. Was kind of surprised that, after the strong connections back to book 1, Arena, in the previous entry, those connections were totally ignored even when the protagonists could have desperately needed them.

Overall, though, I thought the book worked well. Without going into spoilers, it tied more strongly back to the Brothers' War (which will eventually, and naturally, become the foundation of the new continuity later), and featured a lot of tactical fighting as every surviving antagonist (and some new ones from fights between books) returned in a (somewhat forced) team to fight the main characters and their wandering army. Lots of small-scale and large-scale action. All ongoing plotlines (such as they are, since really there aren't many) are tied up. The grim-grey tone returns, toned down a bit but still with random protagonist deaths of secondary characters whom the author took a little time to establish -- which is a nice touch as always. The typesetter, however, and/or the author, forgot to add extra carriage returns or small section breaks within chapters to signal when the scene had substantially changed, often with timeskips. I kept being janked out of the story whenever this happened, even though recognizing the real problem I could adjust for it.

The overarching plot technically continues at the end, with the protagonist army still positioned to keep hunting and leashing selfish wizards, now more effectively than ever; but my vague impression from studying the subsequent book plots (and whether any of them should be tried later when the continuity reboots) is that this plot will be dropped in favor of standalone entries that never, or only with trivial rareness, will call back to what's going on here. That will be annoying if true, but it's understandable and I think I'll have an easier time swallowing it if I'm prepared for the plot-disjunction.

Anyway, a new story for Book 5 to come! -- and I'll report on whether the back cover art has finally advanced!  :2funny: :crazy2: :uglystupid2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Finished Beevor's Ardennes book a week or so ago. Now splitting time between his Crete and Spanish Civil War books.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Its a good read, innit. The Battle for Spain is excellent.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on October 02, 2016, 01:02:19 PM
Its a good read, innit. The Battle for Spain is excellent.

It truly is. Beevor is a master historian.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus