Armored Battle Crew-World War 1: Tank and Crew Management Simulation

Started by MC, March 16, 2019, 10:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

Definitely something unique. This may or may not be your cup of tea depending on your thoughts about cartoon-type graphics. I'll have to keep an eye on this and see how it develops. There hasn't been much of anything I am aware of that covers WW1 tanks at this level. Hopefully there will be some realism injected into this.

Armored Battle Crew is a Tank and Crew Management Simulation game, where your skills as a Tank commander is tested. Customize your tank carefully and make strategic battle choices to achieve mission success! The fate of your crew lies in your hands!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/814740/Armored_Battle_Crew_World_War_1__Tank_Warfare_and_Crew_Management_Simulator/

Gusington

I've had this on my wish list for a while...I so wish they could change up the cartoon graphics.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

But war is so much more palatable when it's Playmobile People v. Lego Minifigs. Not even any plastic blood to disturb the sensibilities.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

em2nought

Stolen elections have consequences.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Might not give the most exciting gameplay  >:D ...

TANKS WERE FIRST USED AT FLERSCOURCELETTE IN SEPTEMBER 1916, BUT
WHAT IMPACT DID THEY HAVE ON THE BATTLEFIELD AT THAT TIME?

They didn't 'break-through' but they did 'breakin' to German positions. Many of them broke
down on the way up and many didn't even cross the British front line.
Lots were disabled
and they were very slow. Although they could traverse No Man's Land, German guns could
hit them if the gunners were able to see them.

So they weren't a wonder weapon but there were one or two tanks that would get out into
a bit of space and it was more the tantalising prospect that was raised by the success of
these individual tanks that inspired the BEF to order more.

WHAT WAS THE REACTION AMONG THE GERMAN TROOPS WHEN THEY SAW THE TANKS COMING?

I think it came as a complete surprise, certainly to the frontline infantrymen. Some sources
have said that there was an important morale factor in that it spooked the enemy. I've talked
to a German historian recently and he's said that the tanks didn't unduly freak out the
Germans. There's the myth about these steel monsters that just made the enemy run away,
which isn't quite true. I think it was probably patchy in places. If you were in a machine gun
nest and there was a tank rumbling towards you you'd probably run away but not because there
was some mythical element to the tank. A new weapon of this kind would probably
have boosted British morale, but I don't think it led to total terror and collapse on the
German side as some people have traditionally suggested. The tanks were going so slowly and
deliberately that if you had to abandon your position, you would have had plenty of warning
to [do so] at your leisure.

Source : History of War n° 30

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2019, 01:52:56 PM
I've had this on my wish list for a while...I so wish they could change up the cartoon graphics.

Nothing expresses the grimness of the WWI western front like happy little bobble people.  I mean, come on, they're so CUTE!  It looks like they love having lice, trench foot and dysentery. 

I mean, come on.  You don't actually want to feel like you're participating in the senseless obliteration of an entire generation do you?

Hopefully they'll have the Germans explode into sauerkraut cans and give the British Umbrella Paratroops. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^HAHAHA!!!

No.

You guys have convinced me to remove it from my wish list. Thank you!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2019, 03:11:52 PM
It's like Bomber Crew...with tanks.

I really hope not.

Bomber Crew really bothered me because the player had to DO EVERYTHING. That's exactly opposite of how a crew works.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 16, 2019, 03:31:33 PM
Might not give the most exciting gameplay  >:D ...

TANKS WERE FIRST USED AT FLERSCOURCELETTE IN SEPTEMBER 1916, BUT
WHAT IMPACT DID THEY HAVE ON THE BATTLEFIELD AT THAT TIME?

They didn't 'break-through' but they did 'breakin' to German positions. Many of them broke
down on the way up and many didn't even cross the British front line.
Lots were disabled
and they were very slow. Although they could traverse No Man's Land, German guns could
hit them if the gunners were able to see them.

So they weren't a wonder weapon but there were one or two tanks that would get out into
a bit of space and it was more the tantalising prospect that was raised by the success of
these individual tanks that inspired the BEF to order more.

WHAT WAS THE REACTION AMONG THE GERMAN TROOPS WHEN THEY SAW THE TANKS COMING?

I think it came as a complete surprise, certainly to the frontline infantrymen. Some sources
have said that there was an important morale factor in that it spooked the enemy. I've talked
to a German historian recently and he's said that the tanks didn't unduly freak out the
Germans. There's the myth about these steel monsters that just made the enemy run away,
which isn't quite true. I think it was probably patchy in places. If you were in a machine gun
nest and there was a tank rumbling towards you you'd probably run away but not because there
was some mythical element to the tank. A new weapon of this kind would probably
have boosted British morale, but I don't think it led to total terror and collapse on the
German side as some people have traditionally suggested. The tanks were going so slowly and
deliberately that if you had to abandon your position, you would have had plenty of warning
to [do so] at your leisure.

Source : History of War n° 30

Pete, my understanding is that tanks had a bumpy introduction in WW I, but did end up being used successfully later on in the war.  You know, kind of like bombers in WW II...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 17, 2019, 02:06:45 PM

Pete, my understanding is that tanks had a bumpy introduction in WW I, but did end up being used successfully later on in the war.  You know, kind of like bombers in WW II...

I think he was more referring to the initial "shock and awe" myth that accompanied the introduction of tanks in 1916 than an analysis of their overall effectiveness by the end of the war. As his quoted article said "What impact did they have on the battlefield at that time"

The British did rely a lot on the shock and surprise factor in their initial deployments, which as the article said, came in ones and twos. 

By The Battle of Cambrai they had amassed enough armor to make them pretty effective when used properly and in numbers.  War office planners, JFC Fuller in particular, quickly began to see the potential of combined arms mechanized force, and the tank evolved into a fairly useful, though not war winning, weapon by the end of the war. 

But, I agree with Pete, perhaps not the most exciting from a gameplay perspective.  Tanks got better and more functional as the war went on, but they weren't what we're used to in wargaming and simulation. 

The developers are taking the right tack in making a WW1 tank game about vehicle management more than anything else.  Just keeping these things running was most of the battle.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

I just noticed something in the trailer and stillshots- why are the Germans using what look like Renault FT-17s? Shouldn't they be driving A7Vs? Those last would be a real crew management sim with their crews of around 18.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 17, 2019, 05:24:30 PM
I just noticed something in the trailer and stillshots- why are the Germans using what look like Renault FT-17s? Shouldn't they be driving A7Vs? Those last would be a real crew management sim with their crews of around 18.

Yeah, though this wasn't my first clue that they weren't heading in in the direction of realism, this certainly is one of them.   

The Germans did use captured Allied tanks in WWI, but not many and every one I've seen were British Marks.   

They're also featuring tank on tank combat, which as far as I've ever read only happened in one instance between three Mk IV's and three A7V's.

It's hard to make the Germans the focus of any kind of slightly realistic WWI tank sim.  The German high command didn't buy into tanks the way the Allies did.  They only built around 20 A7V's and made limited use of captured Allied equipment.   They didn't have anyone like Fuller that was pushing for a transition into modern mechanized warfare. 

They of course more than made up the doctrinal gap in the interwar period.

EDIT:  In their combat videos in the forum sections they're referring to the FT tanks as captured by Germans.