Matrix World in Flames

Started by JudgeDredd, June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 28, 2016, 05:21:29 PM
Quote from: Flywheel on August 28, 2016, 05:19:48 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 28, 2016, 05:05:25 PM
You should go and have a look on the forums at Matrix though. It may have gotten better since I last looked. Alas - the progress, where made, seems to be painfully slow and I read at times that one fix broke something else.

Yes, I may do.

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 28, 2016, 05:05:25 PM
...so if you are interested in the game (and can take it as a solitaire game) then I would suggest you pop in over there and have a little read at how it is.  O0

I'm not entirely clear on this, if you have a pc game and there is no computer AI opponent, how do you play a solitaire game? Of course, I might just be thick  :-[

You play all sides in the game......not really my favorite way either....but I originally bought the game thinking I could at least learn the rules before an AI was implemented....
ditto
Alba gu' brath

Flywheel

I just read the small print and they do warn me.

Players: 1-2
AI: No
PBEM: No
File Size: 2260mb
Download Time:
- 56K Modem: 89hr 40min
- DSL or Satelite: 4hr 54min
- High Speed: 60min
Version: 1.00
Manual: Printed - Color
Hold my beer and watch this!

Flywheel

You play all sides in the game......not really my favorite way either....but I originally bought the game thinking I could at least learn the rules before an AI was implemented....

I must have missed that bit..

Flywheel

Oh well, story closed, thanks guys

JudgeDredd

One other thing....the manuals may be stunning - I've heard great things about them - but after almost 3 years of development, they will probably be all but useless as printed reference books.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

The manuals were good and had promise.....main reason I spent over a $100.....but your 100% correct, likely little value now.

Flywheel

I always took for granted that a computer wargame came bundled with an AI - well, you do don't you - this has taught me to be a little careful and check the specs - especially if it is a Matrix game.

That's a lot of money to lose, Grim, I feel for that, it's bitter.

Grim.Reaper

I've gotten over the money, but just really thought Matrix should have treated their customers better.....there is just no way they didn't know how bad things were and that fixes would take a very long time (if ever fully) contrary to what they stated.  Refunds or some kind of discount on other games should have happened....it would have been one thing if they said it was "early access" or something, but that was not the case.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Flywheel on August 28, 2016, 05:29:44 PM
Oh well, story closed, thanks guys

As has been pointed out previously, for about the same money, you could get a copy of WiF (board game version) Final Edition on Ebay or Amazon, and then use the free Vassal module to play virtually.  Of course Vassal doesn't "enforce" the rules, so you really need to know them.  But at least you get a copy of the board game out of it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Flywheel

Yes, AT, that is an option I noticed mentioned and would be some result. Thanks for reminding me of it.

chemkid

...funny to see this thread pop up once a while. i'd like to install the game, watch the latest 800mb hotfix finish downloading and look at a barbarossa-setup starring back at me... i'll cry, uninstall and go to bed early... thanks a bundle! ;)

btw, the books are cute and the maps weight a ton!  O0

GibbyG

Quote from: Flywheel on August 28, 2016, 06:03:02 PM
I always took for granted that a computer wargame came bundled with an AI - well, you do don't you - this has taught me to be a little careful and check the specs - especially if it is a Matrix game.

To be somewhat fair to Matrix, its not like they sold the game and then said "surprise, no AI!" It was clear before it went on sale that there would be no AI

Tuna

Quote from: challerain on August 29, 2016, 07:34:55 PM

To be somewhat fair to Matrix, its not like they sold the game and then said "surprise, no AI!" It was clear before it went on sale that there would be no AI

To be fair to the 'consumer' The game is still a mess, yet they still charge a 'premium' price for it, which never should've happened in the first place.

dinsdale

True. Though they did know the game was a mess, that fixes would be incredibly slow and that the game should have been shoved out at a steep discount to close the project. Instead they decide to create physical enhancements bump up the price and declare victory.

A squalid chapter in Matrix's history, which could be forgiven if they didn't have precisely the same result with Empires in Arms a few years before...sans the manual/map marketing ploy.

GibbyG

Quote from: Tuna on August 29, 2016, 08:06:38 PM

To be fair to the 'consumer' The game is still a mess, yet they still charge a 'premium' price for it, which never should've happened in the first place.

I understand, but the buyer should know that and can make a choice.

I'm not saying I agree with what they did.  There were some comments up above that sounded like people thought the missing AI was deceptive.  It wasn't.