Burden of Command Announced

Started by Mad Russian, June 30, 2017, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

FarAway Sooner

Brant, for a moment I feared that the link above would take me to the Dreaded Front Page, but that's a great interview.  Thanks for posting! 

O0

bayonetbrant

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 11, 2017, 12:15:14 PM
Brant, for a moment I feared that the link above would take me to the Dreaded Front Page, but that's a great interview.  Thanks for posting! 

O0

Damn smartass Okies!

Oh wait, I used to be one of those too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Con

Any plans extending the 7th infantry Regiment to their Korean War service?

Mad Russian

Lots of plans to extend the series. The Korean War would be a natural extension of their WW2 service.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Boggit

Quote from: Mad Russian on July 09, 2017, 06:58:38 AM
One of the most interesting features of game for me personally is the fact that the maps aren't all the same size. The maps were created to fit the tactical situation. They aren't a 'one size fits all'. That makes each situation unique. That and the fact that there is such a tremendous variety in terrain. From landing on African beaches, assaulting down Sicilian coastal roads - with a mountain on one shoulder and a beach on the other, the fight at Cisterna - where 96% of the town was destroyed, on into France and Germany. The scenarios reflect the types of missions over some of the bitterest fighting. Whether they are on the attack or the defense, it's my job to make sure these same battles are intense and full of action.

My scenarios all have one goal. To produce at least one point in them that creates 20 seconds of terror. The action may have been a historical walkover, but even then, there was a point in the fight where the outcome was in doubt. We focus on those moments to have your own outcome in doubt.

You shouldn't feel that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as  you stay alive. That's the normal  'game' answer. This is much of a simulation, and as simulation - as in real life, if you don't do at least competently you could be relieved of command. Then it would no longer be your burden.

Good Hunting.

MR
Of course staying alive can just be down to good or bad luck, being in the wrong/right place when a mortar shell lands, or when going near mines. As a simulation it must leave the player feeling somewhat out of control - at that scale anyway. Not saying it is bad, but just saying you're at the whim of fate a lot of the time.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MengJiao

Quote from: Boggit on July 15, 2017, 07:14:00 PM
Quote from: Mad Russian on July 09, 2017, 06:58:38 AM
One of the most interesting features of game for me personally is the fact that the maps aren't all the same size. The maps were created to fit the tactical situation. They aren't a 'one size fits all'. That makes each situation unique. That and the fact that there is such a tremendous variety in terrain. From landing on African beaches, assaulting down Sicilian coastal roads - with a mountain on one shoulder and a beach on the other, the fight at Cisterna - where 96% of the town was destroyed, on into France and Germany. The scenarios reflect the types of missions over some of the bitterest fighting. Whether they are on the attack or the defense, it's my job to make sure these same battles are intense and full of action.

My scenarios all have one goal. To produce at least one point in them that creates 20 seconds of terror. The action may have been a historical walkover, but even then, there was a point in the fight where the outcome was in doubt. We focus on those moments to have your own outcome in doubt.

You shouldn't feel that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as  you stay alive. That's the normal  'game' answer. This is much of a simulation, and as simulation - as in real life, if you don't do at least competently you could be relieved of command. Then it would no longer be your burden.

Good Hunting.

MR
Of course staying alive can just be down to good or bad luck, being in the wrong/right place when a mortar shell lands, or when going near mines. As a simulation it must leave the player feeling somewhat out of control - at that scale anyway. Not saying it is bad, but just saying you're at the whim of fate a lot of the time.

Yeah.  This would be more interesting at the Corps or Army level.  More of a time managment focus (how much time do you spend checking up on things yourself?  And how much time do you spend at the teletype or on the phone with STAVKA: sure in the US army Sarge didn't call STAVKA all that often, but surely being a Captain was more blood and guts than telephone time as opposed to Corps or army command where you could completely blow things by going up to the front at the wrong time or by not going up to the front, or by not paying attention to radio security etc. etc.

Mad Russian

Quote from: MengJiao on July 16, 2017, 10:09:18 PM

Yeah.  This would be more interesting at the Corps or Army level.  More of a time managment focus (how much time do you spend checking up on things yourself?  And how much time do you spend at the teletype or on the phone with STAVKA: sure in the US army Sarge didn't call STAVKA all that often, but surely being a Captain was more blood and guts than telephone time as opposed to Corps or army command where you could completely blow things by going up to the front at the wrong time or by not going up to the front, or by not paying attention to radio security etc. etc.

Down at this level you have a lot of choices to make. Not the least of which is dealing with the tactical battle and managing personnel losses to your unit.

While a different level could be interesting this level should leave no stone unturned for intensity of the dilemma's that face a junior officer in  the US Army in WW2.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Just got back from a week at the WBC Con and now leaving tomorrow to take a break from all this stressful gaming. Heading up into the Wyoming Rockies to visit family and friends from the land of my birth and upbringing.

If it snows on me I'll be home early!!!! :D

Good Hunting.

MR

lhughes42

MengJiao are you aware of Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa?  Leadership eastern front WII at strategic level. Smart designer Cameron Harris (friend of Burden of Command as it happens too :-) ).

Luke
Burden of Command lead
Steam: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

lhughes42

BTW Steve is being modest. He was at the WBC because he was showing off his very well received tactical board game "Fire Team Red Eclipse":  http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/forums/fire-team-red-eclipse.101/
Poor Steve had to suffer from a lot of brutal feedback like "how soon can I buy this?"

Check it out,
   Luke

p.s. updated. First screenshot from his boardgame showing finished counters.
Burden of Command lead

lhughes42

In danger of overstaying my welcome with multiple posts  :idiot2: so will be brief. I realize failed to mention our first dev blog is out:  "Making the Characters Come Alive" shows how a character goes from a single row in a spreadsheet to a Mariusz portrait.
Have we done our job? Hope you'll take a look at the blog and let us know. I realize this is on the soft human side of tactical combat for your hard nosed grognards. Maybe this portraiture crap is only for sissies who don't really know how to push cardboard or animated sprites? ;-)

http://burdenofcommand.com/blog

Luke

Burden of Command lead

Mad Russian

Just got back from vacation and they threw me back in the trenches.... at ANZIO!!

The battlegrounds this unit fought in are some of the toughest of the war. You can just imagine what choices you will be called upon to make there.

If you can't imagine it on your own I'll do it for you as we create the scenarios for your to fight on.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Grogheads has an interview with Luke Hughes, the project leader, and should be made available soon.

Good Hunting.

MR

bayonetbrant

Interview with Luke on today's GrogCast :)