Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

You could always try allying with Arabia.....also they do like cash....I lobbed some money at them early on to improve relations and remember they stop raiding once relations get over +25.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

Once I start getting more cash, then maybe. I came close to losing out of the game because I spent substantial amounts of my starting cash trying to be friends with the Qats. So I'm fuzzy about trying that.

I suppose it will depend on my current ruler's diplomatic stats at the time, plus the combined diplomatic factors, whether I risk giving raiders cash to attack me more thoroughly.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Patch dropped today.

...it made me load up twice when I clicked the game's name in the Steam taskbar.

By which I mean it loaded up the Matrix game front-end, I clicked play (all as usual), it threw up the patch notes (no problem), I clicked onward and it took me into the game, I clicked multiplayer -- and the game quit, starting over automatically to load up the Matrix game front-end.

Same process, though that time I did get into check mp game status. (Our game will cycle about two hours from this post; only 9 players have put in their move, notably...?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tuna

Awesome, it fixed my 'broken' Belgae game, that I have many hours invested in!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 10, 2019, 08:34:06 AM
Patch dropped today.

...it made me load up twice when I clicked the game's name in the Steam taskbar.

By which I mean it loaded up the Matrix game front-end, I clicked play (all as usual), it threw up the patch notes (no problem), I clicked onward and it took me into the game, I clicked multiplayer -- and the game quit, starting over automatically to load up the Matrix game front-end.

Same process, though that time I did get into check mp game status. (Our game will cycle about two hours from this post; only 9 players have put in their move, notably...?)

13 of 15 actually moved Jason....I suspect the patch may have stopped the numbers being updated.

Seems fine now.

JasonPratt

Gather all and march!
Harbor to be freed!
Is Arabia
Joining in our war...?!

Surprise! -- the Arabian invasion fleet decided to try to take the ancient port region where Qatabian miscreants are holing up abusing my citizens!

They totally failed, but did give me a look (I think) at what I can expect to deal with; and hopefully next turn the epic finale will be accomplished. Although if the enemy prefers to march on my capital, or even on Himjar, I wouldn't complain.

JasonPratt

Keen laments arise!
Losers run back home.
Many more did spawn,
Now we have to wait.
Oh the irony!
Proper management,
Qata now exploits:
Rolling in the food.

Rassenfrassen rickenfricken...  :pullhair: The Qats turned out to have significantly more power than expected, even accounting for their (not inconsiderable) harbor defenses, which of course I had managed for them, turning their ork-ass economy around in the years I managed the place.

Now they're rolling in food production, and can sit there comfortably having fish fries while they and Arabia raid (most of) my lands, screwing over my production, and training up highly experienced troops.  :tickedoff:

All I can do is try to bootstrap up my other areas for who knows how many more years, while of course they're still improving Homertoe themselves. Maybe if I can luck up and get some proper fortifications in Qataba itself, I can send my army up to tell Arabia to HECK OFF! I'm not sorry they got kicked off Africa by Nubia (especially since now Ptolemy has to deal with an evident superstack over there), but now they're going to be looking around for easier pickings.

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2019, 06:40:36 PM
(especially since now Ptolemy has to deal with an evident superstack over there),

I expected a move by Nubia and fortunately the Royal army was moved into Musma last turn and are now adjacent to the Nubians...If I catch them next turn that "superstack" will look a lot smaller  :)

The offer to sort out the Qats for you still stands by the way as Judea has finally been wiped this turn by a combined Seleucid/Ptolemaic land and naval operation so I have less irritations up north !

JasonPratt

Condolences for the Judean player. Although that's kind of a historical outcome.

Urgh... Well, if you decide it's to your advantage strategically to do that, I won't complain! I hate to ask for help, but it's going to be who-knows-how-long to root them out now, and your NPC buddies are making my job more difficult.

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 15, 2019, 07:54:10 AM
Condolences for the Judean player. Although that's kind of a historical outcome.

Urgh... Well, if you decide it's to your advantage strategically to do that, I won't complain! I hate to ask for help, but it's going to be who-knows-how-long to root them out now, and your NPC buddies are making my job more difficult.

I need to knock down the Nubians first so it wont be immediate but if I can get a peace with them sorted after defeating their main field army it will be time for a little sail south my friend  :)

We can't have you fighting the Qats for 500 turns !!

The celebrated Jarndyce v Jarndyce in Dickens took less time  :DD

JasonPratt

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 16, 2019, 08:48:26 AM
Bleeeaaakkk Hooooouuussseee

Indeed....

It could be the Title of the official history of the Sabateans  ;)

JasonPratt

Or with our ancient dam, LEAAAAAKK HOOOUUSSSEEE!

So another year
Traipses by again.
Underbalanced by
Volunteering mercs.

Depending on how things go, I may be able to try again in two more years. But I'd rather the Remnant-Qats try to invade somewhere else less profitable for his ongoing survival.

It's amazing how much of a thorn in my side the Qats have been. Though I give the AI some credit, I also have to wonder if the AI is salting the scales somewhat (though where their final army is camped now does have a lot of people and food sources to support them and to expand.)

JasonPratt

What! -- at last they surge!
Exiting to north,
Yonder to Himjar!
Zorch their garrison...

The Qat task force decided to ride north to Himjar, which they took without much problem. They're still more powerful than my task force (somehow, probably due to experience combined with topped-off units feeding on my fish), but now I can zip into Homertoe (or whatever it's called) and take the harbor (most likely), trading a less-productive area (Himjar) for the more productive one.

Ptolemy's Arabian territory now stands exposed to Qatabian action, unfortunately, but while they'd probably succeed in taking that, too, if they continue forward, they'd not only be trading a more-developed for less-developed territory again (since I'd follow afterward), but that would greatly aggravate the Egyptians. After which the lives of the Qats would be nasty, brutish, and short.  >:D

This should work out nicely, though I'll need some turns to gather the ancient harbor region back under my management. My only concerns right now are:

1.) Will they turn around (leaving a police-keeping skirm behind) to return to the harbor as I get in? That might be disastrous (though I still have to gamble and try).

2.) Will they go for my capitol? I think they'd have trouble cracking it, but they'd eventually succeed, and I'm fuzzy about whether I could time a sally from the garrison along with a sortie from my task force (in which case the invaders might defeat me in detail). They could also meander back to Qataba this way, and I don't think I could stop them.

devoncop

The sole Egyptian buffer region down near the interminable Qataban/Sabaen shenanigans (which has amazingly managed to outlast even the Egyptian/Judean drama as Judea is now no more >:D) is of no interest to Ptolemy but our war with Nubia is going well and the Nubian capital fell to the Royal Army this turn.

An Egyptian expeditionary force is anticipated to deal with the Qataban nuisance within 3 turns....The area will then be abandoned allowing the Sabaeans to take back control (to coin a phrase :))

If the Sabateans resolve the problem before then, so much the better.