Mafia: Definitive Edition Releases Today

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 24, 2020, 06:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Later today, Mafia the Definitive Edition will be released, which is basically a remake of the original 1st Mafia game.  Price is $39.99 on Steam, although you can get on Greenman gaming for about $35.  There is no discount for previous owners of the Classic version.

I owned the original but well after when it was originally released and really never got far in it.  Not because it was bad, more because it just felt too "old" at the time.  So this likely will be a purchase for me as I have always heard good things about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030840/Mafia_Definitive_Edition/

Gusington

Waiting to load it up - still not technically released yet, on Steam anyway. Never played the original so I am excited for this. I'm curious as to how many hours of play it has.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on September 24, 2020, 03:41:16 PM
https://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-definitive-edition-review/

I played quite a bit of the original...but really didn't like being on rails at the end of the day. Having to get past a certin challenge or gunfight before I could progress just irritates me. Particularly since the game was competing with open games like Far Cry for my gaming time.   

Still the game was gorgeous, and the atmosphere was great.  On sale I would consider getting it. But at the current price, I'll wait.

Now, if they ever combined the game play of Gangsters with the atmosphere and world of Mafia, I would open my wallet in a flash.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 24, 2020, 03:27:06 PM
Waiting to load it up - still not technically released yet, on Steam anyway. Never played the original so I am excited for this. I'm curious as to how many hours of play it has.

Yep, one more hour....weird release time.

Gusington

I was just going to ask...where the hell is it? Still not available where I am (EST).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 24, 2020, 06:06:33 PM
I was just going to ask...where the hell is it? Still not available where I am (EST).

Actually just release, but they messed up somehow...only 715MB download and not the game...people not happy:)

Grim.Reaper

They fixed...download is going....30+ GB so likely wont get to play until tomorrow....

Gusington

^And just as I read your post...it appeared! LIKE MAFIA MAGIC

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I could peruse the 'carcyclopedia' for hours on its own.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

It appears there is an issue launching the game for many people, including myself.  The current workaround is to bypass the default launcher and run the game EXE directly.  That worked for me.  Then once in the game, there is an option to disable the launcher.  After that I was able to get into the game OK.

demjansk1942

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: demjansk1942 on September 25, 2020, 04:46:32 AM
I have Mafia 2.  Is it much different?

Not sure how much different a sequel would be...both leverages a Mafia story line although there is a different story/characters used.,,,they are not connected.  From a gameplay perspective, seem fairly similar with different stories.  Have never fully completed any of the (3) versions but seems like a lot of people indicate Mafia 1 (this version) is the best of the series.  I guess I'll find out.

Gusington

I launched alright last night, no issues.

Biggest difference at a quick glance of the three games is their different eras and the cities they are set in.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd