Combat Mission Shock Force 2 coming to Matrix

Started by glen55, August 07, 2020, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: IICptMillerII on August 11, 2020, 10:47:55 PM
Disclaimer: It wasn't entirely clear to me if the new features I mentioned are intended for only the professional version of the sim or if they will be available to the general public in the commercial version. Regardless, I still think it is exciting news.

While I applaud and am happy for BF in their pursuit of "professional" sales, hopefully government contracts don't cause them to lose focus on WWII titles. Other companies like Bohemia Interactive, WarfareSims and JTS have managed to balance the two somewhat competing markets well (government vs. wargamers), so my fears are probably not justified.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Considering the length of time it takes BF to release updates and patches, as well as the convoluted licensing system, their new partnership with the government seems like a match made in heaven.  <:-)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on August 08, 2020, 08:35:50 AM
I have never played a Combat Mission game.

Good lord, Gus.  And you co-own a wargaming website.    ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Combat Mission isn't a wargame. It's a digital Colonoscopy without the sedation.  :2funny:  At least the way I play it....
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Wburn

Since I have SF2 will I be able to get a steam key for it after the transfer?

Redwolf

Quote from: IICptMillerII on August 08, 2020, 01:48:11 AM
Just an FYI, CMSF2 will also be on Steam for the first time ever. I honestly though I would see pigs fly before I saw a CM title on Steam.

No kidding. It's great, though. No more messing with the license on hardware changes or the phase of the moon.

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2020, 03:15:33 PM
Considering the length of time it takes BF to release updates and patches, as well as the convoluted licensing system, their new partnership with the government seems like a match made in heaven.  <:-)

Contrary to what it might feel like, Steam is not yet our government :)

Redwolf

Quote from: Wburn on August 12, 2020, 11:42:55 PM

Not a chance. Even Matrix-site and Matrix-on-Steam licenses are strictly non-interchangeable.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Redwolf on August 14, 2020, 11:01:15 AM

Not a chance. Even Matrix-site and Matrix-on-Steam licenses are strictly non-interchangeable.

Nonsense. You always get a Steam key with a Matrix purchase, and Battlefront will give Steam keys to all SF2 owners.

(you don't get a Matrix license with a key bought on Steam or 3rd seller though, but that is completely different matter).

Redwolf

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on August 14, 2020, 12:00:37 PM

Nonsense. You always get a Steam key with a Matrix purchase, and Battlefront will give Steam keys to all SF2 owners.

(you don't get a Matrix license with a key bought on Steam or 3rd seller though, but that is completely different matter).

That must have changed since I wanted to update my COMMAND. Still have the support email.

al_infierno

Quote from: Redwolf on August 14, 2020, 05:23:07 PM

That must have changed since I wanted to update my COMMAND. Still have the support email.

Yes, BF's policies have improved quite a bit in the past 2-3 years.  The whole "sacrifice a goat and wait for the correct phase of the moon to move your game to a new computer" meme really doesn't hold up anymore in my recent experience.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

A Steam key for a game bought on Matrix is generated automatically and shows up in your library.   That doesn't exclude they can give you a Matrix key if you ask them for it in an email.

The discount on your anniversary coupon is based I believe on the number of games you have on their website.  This could be a reason they don't hand out Matrix keys for games you bought on Steam, but it could also be this has nothing to do with it ..

smittyohio

I've never had an issue with getting steam keys for my matrix purchases either.   Pretty painless, and a nice feature.    I'd much prefer getting the games on Matrix first, and then getting a Steam key.   I think it benefits them more (not really sure), and it gives me the opportunity to back up the installer.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 12, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Other companies like Bohemia Interactive, WarfareSims and JTS have managed to balance the two somewhat competing markets well (government vs. wargamers), so my fears are probably not justified.

Bohemia Interactive (ARMA) has been split from Bohemia Simulations (VBS) for almost 7 years. So I wouldn't use them as an example of 'balance'.

Grim.Reaper

Information posted today about how to get Steam keys for existing owners......I was able to successfully register the game and all the modules.  No steam key yet to get, which is understandable since likely not until release.

this was just posted on the Matrix forum. Here is how you'll be able to get your Steam access for CMSF2 if you've purchased the game through Battlefront:

Hi guys,

We're very pleased to be working with Battlefront and know many of you are eagerly anticipating the release of Combat Mission. We wanted to give you some details on how things will work and both teams will do their best to make this process as painless as possible for you all to get your games working on Steam.

·        Steam keys will be available to anybody who purchased the game, no matter where they purchased. All users will get steam keys by creating an account with Matrix/Slitherine to redeem a steam key. The reason for this is Matrix already have a process to distribute the keys and Battlefront didn't and it would have been a lot of work for them to create such as system so it felt simpler to use a system that already works. Sorry for the inconvenience of anyone who needs to create an account because of this.
·        Once you have an account you can redeem Steam keys in the normal way by following these instructions - https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585
·        Note that if you bought a bundle from Battlefront you will only have one serial for all the games in the bundle. To redeem all the pieces of your bundle as Steam keys you will need to register that serial for each part of the bundle. E.g. if you purchased the base game and British Forces bundle you would register that serial twice, once to the base game and once to the DLC. Each will generate a unique Steam key for that piece of content on Steam and must be redeemed on Steam separately.
·        When purchasing a bundle on Matrix/Slitherine you will receive a serial for each part separately.
·        The versions on Matrix, Battlefront and Steam are identical apart from some minor changes to make the game compatible with Steam. Steam requires all the game content to be in the install folder so the placement of some files will be different to the Battlefront version but this is all behind the scenes and the features are identical. Multiplayer is possible between versions.
·        Customers who buy from Matrix/Slitherine will have access to the Matrix installer and a Steam key. Customers who buy from Battlefront will have access to the Battlefront version and Steam key. Matrix/Slitherine customers will not have access to the Battlefront version and vice versa.
·        Any Steam key redemption issues should be reported to the Matrix forum, as Battlefront are not able to help with that.
·        Other tech support should be requested at your point of purchase but both companies will try and help out anyone who has an issue if they can. Obviously any order issues can only be investigated by the site you purchased from as neither company has access to that kind of info for the other.
·        If you have any questions or problems please let us know and we will do our best to help.