Combat Mission 2 Noob

Started by LoganismyHERO, November 18, 2019, 12:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganismyHERO

Hi all

So, I'm wanting to give the Normandy Demo a spin. I've never really played any war game that has this much depth/learning curve. Any video tutorial recommendations? Any tips/tricks from those here who have played this series?

Thank you!

-budd-

The armchair generals ones are great learning tools.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LoganismyHERO

Thanks for the links. I've been reading up a little on this game and I thought I read that you can have the game set up to go AI vs AI? Is this possible?

Nope, never mind. Just confirmed this is not possible.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on November 18, 2019, 04:16:45 PM
Thanks for the links. I've been reading up a little on this game and I thought I read that you can have the game set up to go AI vs AI? Is this possible?

No AI vs AI.   Human vs AI and Human vs Human.

Michael Dorosh

There is a scenario author mode which could be useful to teach you how the AI works. From the manual:

"Scenario Author Test" may be selected as a Skill Mode in 1-player games only. It is intended to be used by Scenario Authors only when testing their creations, and is not intended for "live" play. This setting will cause all enemy units to be fully displayed to the player, but not additionally "known" to player's troops. Computer controlled units show their movement paths when selected.

Basically it's a "no fog of war" setting, but the units playing don't know that.

I tried playing CMX1 this way with a human player (name drop: Charlie Kibler). Wanted to see if it would replicate the experience of playing a board game like Squad Leader, where two players have near-perfect information about the other sides forces. It wasn't a terrible experience, and certainly unique.