Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 05, 2018, 03:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surtur

We are releasing in a little bit :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Barthheart

Surtur

Also, I will be doing a stream later today (19:00 BST), so you guys can watch live and ask some questions. The developer will be in the chat as well.

Jarhead0331

How would you rate the depth and complexity of this game? Is it EUIV, CKII, VickyII, something in between? One of the problems I found with EU: Rome was that it was too shallow. It was enjoyable for a bit, but ultimately, there just wasn't that much to do within the game world.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Surtur

I would say something in between. It is easy enough to pick up and play I think. But there are some release nice more in-depth features that when understood correctly, can really enhance the experience.

A couple of examples:

- People may try and flee a city when the enemy approaches or when battles are close by, reducing the population in the city
- Soldiers recruited in cities with loyalty problems are not going to be fully loyal to you themselves
- You will most likely need to trade for resources with other factions, you can even trade for slaves (though selling them will reduce happiness in your country)
- Your armies have a specific army morale, which is not national, but based on the opponent. For example your troops might be happy to take on the hoplites of Epirus, but be scared of the barbarian Celts.

Jarhead0331

Thanks. How individually detailed and unique are the different tribes and nation/states? For instance, will playing the Romans feel like playing the Romans, or do the various groups play out somewhat generically. If I am the Roman player, will my legions eventually be made up of Hastati, Principes and Triarii? Will the Legions develop unique traits, veterancy and perhaps loyalty to a particular leader? Can the Romans develop an advantage due to their military discipline and engineering expertise, etc.? I'm hoping these kinds of things are modeled.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Jarhead0331

I have a nagging feeling I'm going to be disappointed. It just doesn't look like the deep historical classical ancient game I am waiting for... :-\
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

WAIT A SECOND...I've totally confused this game with Imperator: Rome by Paradox.

I guess the multiple threads with confusing titles is to blame. Sorry...carry on.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Surtur

The game is available now on Slitherine, Steam and GoG :)

Edit: Sorry to have confused you Jarhead

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Surtur on August 30, 2018, 09:44:43 AM
The game is available now on Slitherine, Steam and GoG :)

Edit: Sorry to have confused you Jarhead

Nah...not your fault at all Surtur! Totally on me.

Good luck with the release! I'm sure I'll pick it up. Just want to see a few impressions first.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Looks like the map area is limited (?) to the immediate Mediterranean area, i.e. no Northern France, northern Germany, England/Ireland, Tigris-Euphrates area. That still leaves a huge area, but it does preclude having the Parthian Wars, the Gallic campaigns or the conquest of Britain.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast