World War Count?

Started by LongBlade, November 14, 2012, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Gus remarked that WWIII may be kicking of with Syria.

Personally I think we passed WWIII a long time ago and we're on five or six depending on how we count. To wit:

WWI - Seven Years War
WWII - The Great War
WWIII - The Great War after intermission (1939 - 1945)
WWIV - The Cold War
WWV - African Conflict(s) of the 1990s

Thoughts? Have I left anything out? Included too much?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

I'm currently reading a book on the The Second World War in which the author briefly makes the case that the Seven Years War was WWI and the French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars were WW2.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2012, 08:22:20 PM
I'm currently reading a book on the The Second World War in which the author briefly makes the case that the Seven Years War was WWI and the French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars were WW2.

Napoleon is my blind spot. I have zero interest. But he is probably right.

Gusington

One of The Wife's professors in undergrad remarked (in 1992) that "the next world war will be between religions" and looking at the news and the state of the Mideast right now, it looks like he was right.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Would one define "world war" as a conflict involving multiple combatants (including at least 2 opposing 'super' powers) covering 2 or more continents?

At this point in time, I really can't see the Chinese or Russians getting drawn into open warfare with the US/NATO.  Not over Israel, not over Syria, not over Iran.  I mean what would be the cost-benefit to the Chinese or Russians?
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2012, 09:03:55 PM
One of The Wife's professors in undergrad remarked (in 1992) that "the next world war will be between religions" and looking at the news and the state of the Mideast right now, it looks like he was right.

The only way that I could see if happening would be if enough Islamic nations had theocratic governments (which appears to be happening), and they all lined-up in lock-step to destroy Israel AND the US/NATO assured the military defence of Israel.  Perhaps a new Islamic Republic of Syria could be the trip-wire leading Iran, Libya, the Palestinian Authority, and Egypt to strong-arm others in a general holy war against Israel and The Great Satan.

Right now, would US government have the stomach/stones to go all-out to support the defence of Israel?  I don't know. 

I would suspect that, if there was another Islamic terror attack, claiming hundreds or thousands of lives in the continental US, the answer would be "yes"... and the conspiracy theorists would be going apeshit.  Especially if there were coordinated attacks in NYC/Chicago/Los Angeles and London/Berlin/Paris.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

Once Iran gets nuclear weapons all bets are off. But Israel won't allow things to get that far.

The Israelis also have already taken on most of the major Muslim powers in the Middle East and prevailed, without direct military support from the US during those wars.

At the end of the day Israel knows that they have to do the best they can with what they have on their own...they really cannot rely on anyone else too much, even the US.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

The next use of 'canned sunshine' will mark the beginning of World War Three.

GDS_Starfury

I think your kinda wrong there Gus.
Pakistan has had nukes for years with a rather unstable govenment.  none of those seem to have found their way into terrorist hands.
IMHO Iran isnt as stupid and bloodthirsty as media would like to portray them.  they know that if they have nukes and something goes
boom they are going to be a glass floored parking lot.  MAD still works and proxy fights will be the norm.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 17, 2012, 03:04:36 PM
I think your kinda wrong there Gus.
Pakistan has had nukes for years with a rather unstable govenment.  none of those seem to have found their way into terrorist hands.
IMHO Iran isnt as stupid and bloodthirsty as media would like to portray them.  they know that if they have nukes and something goes
boom they are going to be a glass floored parking lot.  MAD still works and proxy fights will be the norm.

All things being equal I'd rather proxy war with them not having nukes.

GDS_Starfury

but of course.
Im just trying out this moderate thing for a moment.
dont worry.
it will pass.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 17, 2012, 03:33:56 PM
but of course.
Im just trying out this moderate thing for a moment.
dont worry.
it will pass.

I see.

My leadership position in Anonymous has been compromised.

BRB, someone's at the doorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsalk;

GDS_Starfury

Kfir 2 this Kfir actual
target eliminated

Gusington

Well that went better than expected. I would like to know who, exactly, took over Star's account.

Patience and understanding with Iran? Iran not bloodthirsty?? WHATWHATWHAT

Ultimately I have to disagree that MAD policy works with Islamofascists who welcome death. That is illogical, Captain.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2012, 12:56:30 PM
Ultimately I have to disagree that MAD policy works with Islamofascists who welcome death. That is illogical, Captain.

Their belief in the 13th Imam or whatever disqualifies them from being believed when they say they seek a rational outcome.