40Cent @ the movies

Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Tonight the Mrs. & I caught Safe House starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.  Formulaic, as they say:

- postcard scenes of the host city/country: check
- jerky camera work making action bouncy & nauseating: check  >:(
- heart of gold, idealistic new guy: check
- wise, grizzled, misunderstood veteran assumed to be crooked: check
- real crooked bad guys have positions of power hiding amoungst the good guys: check
- chase-action sequences where new guy learns that veteran isn't the bad guy and ends-up running from the real bad guys (his superiors) to try to kill him: check
-  :o  (SPOILER ALERT)  :o  new guy gets wise fast and wins over bad guys: check

Really, it writes itself.  Denzel does a great job, as always.  But this is a "been there, done that" movie.  Save your time, the Bourne series is better.

28 out of 40
Any time is a good time for pie.

MetalDog

Ryan Reynolds is not believable, in my opinion, as anything other than the dude he played in Van Wilder or the (basically same) dude he played in Waiting.

And I just heard the other day that the new Bourne movie will coming soon, with one caveat, Bourne won't be in it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MIGMaster

There are a certain group of guys that just seem to kill movies -

1) Nic Cage - he acts exactly the same in every movie
2) Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai - just murdered what could have been a great movie

Give me time and I'll think of some more  ::)

LongBlade

That's a pretty good list of the worst offenders.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I liked the most recent instalment of Mission Impossible.  Cruise didn't kill it.  Why he even made Tropic Thunder a better movie.

MIGMaster

Centurion40

This weekend it was This Means War.  I gotta say that I had pretty low expectations; they were even lower when I realized that part of the movie was shot in Canada (ain't no "Donairtown" restaurants in Los Angeles!)... and then when I recognized one of the actresses as a girl that I went to high school with- forget about it.

But actually it wasn't all that bad, so long as you think of it as a chick flick.

26 out of 40

MIGMaster

Saw the new Ghost Rider last night - not bad.....7/10

Centurion40

Good to know.  How would you compare it to the 1st one?

MIGMaster

I think I liked the first one a bit better - I didn't find the story quite as engaging in this one. Some great actions sequences and some prime footage of the Ghost Rider being scary. Cage just doesn't do it for me as Johnny Blaze, but overall not bad. Zach liked it....he's a big Marvel/Ghost Rider fan !

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 21, 2012, 06:33:38 AM
Zach liked it....he's a big Marvel/Ghost Rider fan !

... when he's not building Blood Pits for Khorne!  ;)

Centurion40

This weekend it was Wanderlust, another Paul Rudd dud.  I wanted to see 'Goon' but the Mrs wanted Wanderlust and she won.  Neither one of us really liked it; and neither one of us thought that it was funny.  I even found it to be moderately painful in parts.

19 out of 40

MIGMaster

However, it is still important for you to remember that your choice would have been wrong  ;)

Centurion40

Last night the Mrs and I saw Goon.  I fricken LOVED this movie; best hockey movie since "Slap Shot". 

"Goon" is based on the real-life story of Doug "The Hammer" Smith, with Sean William Scott playing Doug "The Thug" Glatt, a bar bouncer from Orangeville, Mass who is a deep disappointment to his family.  His natural fighting talents get him noticed by the coach of the local minor league team, who recruits him as an enforcer (and teaches Doug how to skate).  Doug is about one standard deviation less retarded than the Hanson brothers, but his fighting talents eventually get him brought-up a level where he plays for the fictional "Halifax Highlanders" for the remainder of the film.  He finds love from a Halifax slut, and gains bloody respect from the fans and other players.

Now this is a Canadian film, so ya gotta understand that, from the get-go, it can only be so good.  This is no Academy Award contender. Even though the majority of the film takes place in Halifax, the film was shot in Winnipeg.  Winnipeg looks NOTHING like Halifax, but that would mean nothing to someone who has never been to either city.  Living in Halifax, this really bothered me.

Overall, I loved the film and would see it again.

30 out of 40

Centurion40

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the icing on the cake, Tig (SAMCRO) played the coach of the Halifax Highlanders.  Sweet!