When Scientists Are *Too* Honest

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2016, 08:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

That's outstanding and I hope it's all true!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Hahahaha!  I like the last one best. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

True story of the best $50 I ever spent in college.

The project in one of my senior communication classes required teams to cold-call people in the Knoxville phone book to poll them about various things.

I lost the various coin tosses, so got to be the one to do this.

In 30 minutes one afternoon I made it through 3 calls, getting answers in only one, because I utterly hated the idea of calling people and bothering them, much less to ask if they'd answer poll questions none of us cared about.

Dorm-mate down the hall walked into the room to ask if he could borrow something from Bro, and said, "Man, you okay? You literally look like you're going to have a stroke. I'm not kidding, I've never seen anyone 'ashen' before..."

I told him the problem.

He said, "Really? Huh. I wouldn't have any problem doing that at all."

I said, "I would gladly pay you $50 cash to do it!"

"Really?! No problem!"

"Okay, but I need 50 papers filled out, and the phone numbers have to be real so that if the teacher or his aides do a spot check..."

"Seriously not a problem."

I promptly went to the ATM, made a withdrawal, came back and handed him the cash. No questions asked. Paid up front.

Two hours later, he was back, with all the sheets filled out. Easiest $50 he'd ever made.

We were the only team that had a full set of data to make our report on. No other team even got close; I think maybe one or two other teams got almost half the necessary number.

I fully believe everything on that list. Every thing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!