The Bright Side of the Coronavirus

Started by Labbug, February 29, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

That was classic, Airboy!

On a bad note, with all of the schools closed the surf lineups are going to be soooo crowded.  Stupid kids.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Wes

Being wargamers I figured you guys would get it...it's logistics.

Follow: 100+ countries have this bug. 46 of the lower 48 have this bug (Alabama now has 6 confirmed cases). This bug is a slow burn long life on external surface bug.

Now, the modern world. The minute 2 people get confirmed at a place of business they close...that includes the people who make the toilet people. People get sick and don't come to work, people are afraid to go to work because the guy they work next to is now in quarantine. Out of lack of workers or the presence of the bug itself nothing gets made. The truck drivers start getting sick and then there is no one to haul it.

Now the store shelves are empty and just tonight on ABC news (US) they commented that the shelves will not be getting re-stocked...start to see the picture...yeah, it's being treated like a hurricane...one that will hit potentially every country and last for maybe a year...

Pray this thing burns out...it's got that Spanish Flu vibe...

Stay frosty, good luck and godspeed to you guys wherever you are...now I have to go clear a table off...I got some gaming to do...

(yeah, yeah, I know, who the hell is this guy???...JUST figured out my password situation...ugh)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

FarAway Sooner

It's hard to compare different societies, but in China, transportation, water, electricity, communications, and food supplies have all remained functioning.  Farmers will continue to grow food.  Grocery stores will remain open, as will drug stores.  The good news is that the fatality rate for this is low, and only a modest fraction of the people who get it are severely affected.

I'm not staying blindly optimistic.  The economic disruption will be huge.  But our survival needs should still be met.  If we run out of toilet paper, we can all use leaves.  Too bad I live in Colorado, and the only leaves we have around here are pine tree needles...  OUCH! 

But we're dwelling on the positive side of things.  The Canadian wood chip export business is thriving.  I'm not sure what kind of wood chips get used to make toilet paper, but if this a chance to clear out wildfire fuel in all our parks and forests, it's a win-win.  Disney+ subscriptions have probably tripled in the last two weeks here in the US, and worldwide, our health care officials are finally receiving the praise and recognition that they too often deserve.  Families are learning to play board games again, microtransactions on phone-based games are up about 4000%, and the entertainment business is going to be creating more good animated series in the next six months than it's generated in the last 10 years!

Comic levity aside, we're mighty adapatable as a human species.  This will hurt, but we'll make it through.  And we might even learn something this time.   Then again, we might not...

Sir Slash

I'm waiting on the Strip Clubs to begin Drive-Through Pole Dances.  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

One scary / sobering thought I had on this.

What if this is the beginning of a Ready Player One end of direct human interaction?

Also colleges need to be put on notice with this. Those 40-50k tuition bills are not going to fly anymore.
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

Any consideration of the, 'bright side' of this pandemic MUST include it bringing an early death to the XFL.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Sir Slash

airboy

I'm going to offer an observation that will sound nutty.  This is becoming one of the best buying opportunities I've seen in my lifetime for certain goods.

When people panic they often rush to safety.  If you have the cash and are in the market for certain types of products - this is shaping up to be one of the best times to buy since the Great Recession - maybe better in some categories of goods.

Also, for everything that is an investment you want to "buy low, sell high."  When prices are low is when you have great buying opportunities.  Everything but cash and major government bonds is down substantially.  If your time horizon is even as short as ten years - this is becoming a better buying opportunity every day that passes.

I've taken advantage of this sort of thing many times over my life.  You never know what the future will hold, but I have a lot of confidence in free markets if the government does not screw it up.  You make serious money when blood is on the floor in equities. 

I'll give you a simple example.  Carnival Cruise Lines stock has really tanked.  If you go on a lot of cruises, they give you $100 spending money (or more on longer trips) if you have 100 shares.  This is the cheapest buy-in for this I've ever seen.  Carnival is the only individual stock I own - because of the shareholder benefit which I've used at least ten times.  All of my other equities are in low cost index funds (and have been for 25 years or so).

Second example.  Toonces was happy to buy his dream watch on a substantial discount.  Those sorts of items may fall in price even more as people panic and attempt to get liquid.  If you want that sort of product and have the cash - it might be a good time to shop.

I can be wrong.  Any prediction about the future is dicey.  But I've experienced national panics and panics in local real estate markets at least once every 15 years since 1970.

bobarossa

Then there's this wonderfully informative video on Internet Quarantine Protocol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSC3ibqwUw&feature=em-uploademail

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

What a great guy! He deserves a vacation from being King surely enough. I mean 4 wives plus concubines too? It's a wonder this guy can even sit up straight.  ::)

Labbug

Looks like the Mexican drug cartels are having a difficult time getting materials to make illegal drugs.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-drug-cartels-struggle-lab-supplies-china-coronavirus

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

em2nought

Quote from: airboy on March 20, 2020, 02:53:50 PM
I'm going to offer an observation that will sound nutty.  This is becoming one of the best buying opportunities I've seen in my lifetime for certain goods.

It might not be a bad time to sell certain things either.  They're offering a decent premium for silver which I've decided is WAY TOO HEAVY for a zombie apocalypse.  ;D
Stolen elections have consequences.