North Carolina Earthquake

Started by airboy, August 09, 2020, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

North Carolina got the largest earthquake since 1916 last night.  It was a 5.1 quake centered in Sparta, NC which is in the mountains close to the Virginia Line.  It was felt in NC, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia.

NC gets a mild earthquake every other year or so.  I remember them from growing up in Western, NC.

See: https://time.com/5877852/north-carolina-earthquake/

steve58

Hey AB, whereabouts in NC?  I'm a native Tarheel myself, from W-S (home of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts  :smitten: and some big name manufacturer, RJR is it?).  Don't remember any quakes when I was growing up.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

airboy

I grew up in Catawba County & my wife in Asheville.

Sir Slash

Asheville is on my list to visit with the Wife. Beautiful I hear.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 11, 2020, 02:17:50 PM

Yes it is, but its also the San Francisco of NC. :'(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Myrmidon

Quote from: steve58 on August 11, 2020, 02:22:42 PM

Yes it is, but its also the San Francisco of NC. :'(

True, but once you're outside city limits, you're back in Western North Carolina.  The clash of cultures keeps things interesting.

Sir Slash

Well, as long as I'm close to the rest of America then I guess it won't be too bad.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Ain't bad, but too many people anymore.  If visiting, expect mad traffic.

-born, raised there (mostly), lived there, and moved end of last year down the mountain to a smaller town.

jamus34

Yeah my folks live in Waynesville and it's about as polar opposite to Asheville as you can get. I like both towns for different reasons though.

Really like the western NC / east TN region. Hoping I can convince the wife to retire there when we're ready in 15 years or so but where the kids go so will she want to.
Insert witty comment here.

Dammit Carl!

About three weeks back or so, spent a week for work in West Jefferson, NC which is North of Boone just a smidge.  Damn pretty place, so I'd suggest that area for a visit, tbh.

We relocated toward the foothills closer to the SC line - we're around an hour away from Charlotte, Asheville, Hickory, and Spartanburg and honestly couldn't be happier.  Less traffic, quieter place (and bigger place to boot in terms of acreage and square footage of the house) and a more "small town," feel.  Plus, it's nice to get away from the snow and whatnot.

Mom's side of the family is from Haywood Co. and Eastern TN, so agree with loving that part of the planet too.

Gusington

I have never been to this area - what are the winters like there?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The Wife and I have been to Gatlinburg a couple of times and like it a lot but it is pretty tourist-ity. Also The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad in Bryson City is great. Gus, the family was in Gatlinburg for X-Mas last year. Snow at the higher elevations only and none in town. Got down to 26 one morning if I remember correctly, plenty of fog and the steep roads can be very slick at times. But in town it was great. I see it floods there often in the Spring.  <:-)

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on August 12, 2020, 08:38:51 AM
I have never been to this area - what are the winters like there?

Depends.  Speaking of Asheville and my experience there, on average, I think we would get a few days in January through March where you could call it a "good snow," where 4" to 8" comes down and stays a few days.  Toss in some sleet and icing, and there you go.  Kicker to living there was that snow removal was not great living in the county and DOT just didn't seem to have the resources to clear things in a timely manner.

Snow used to be more seasonal and run in the winter months as usual, but past decade has seen things move to a more "first part of the year," thing.  The Blizzard of '93 was no joke, but can't recall seeing anything that bad since.

Power loss in bad weather where I lived wasn't horrible as I think the longest we went with no power was around 3 days or so.  But, that could have  been the luck of where I lived too.

Can't speak for places further west or north of Asheville, but they typically get hit harder for longer.  Flip side is that they are also better suited to deal with the snow too.