Random Zombie Apocalypse Question

Started by bayonetbrant, August 11, 2015, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Note, I am basing this idea on the universe of The Walking Dead...

If you had a large enough group of survivors, what about barricading yourself into a small shopping mall? All of the doors open outward, so blockading them wouldn't be that tough. You have a huge variety of supplies in all of the different stores. You would have any number of different water facilities, plus a variety of kitchens to cook in. You would need to forage for food, but you need to do that anyway no matter where you are.
You also have huge parking lots around them to provide some measure of security with a free fire zone.
It's not bunkering yourself into a prison, but if you have a large enough group to provide a regular rotation of guards and workers, it might provide a solid tiny microcosm somewhere to survive for a while. Depending on how ambitious you get, you could even try a heavy skylight area as a small farming area.

Am I just completely off base here?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

All the ones I've seen have multiple entrances, distant from each other, that are pretty large areas covered wholly with glass panes.

All those entrances made of glass would cause two concerns:

1) The Zs being able to see people inside, and therefore probably becoming more excited/active regarding getting in to feed on their sweet sweet entrails.  Attracting them more, in general, and giving them an obvious avenue of attack.

2) Glass being broken more easily.  While plate glass doesn't shatter in a stiff breeze, the chances increase with more of the above attention and is still highly likely to become a problem than the deadites banging on some outer wall through which they cannot see.

mirth

The survivors holed up in a shopping mall in Dawn of the Dead.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on August 11, 2015, 01:42:16 PM
The survivors holed up in a shopping mall in Dawn of the Dead.

Yeah, I was gonna say!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

Rick puts it best when he says "eventually they get in", period. Lots of advantages to a shopping mall, but the disadvantages (too much glass, too many entry points, a beacon for human looters) would outweigh them IMHO.

Gusington

Right there's Dawn of the Dead and there's also the [awesome] mall level of Left 4 Dead 2.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2015, 07:10:11 PM
Right there's Dawn of the Dead and there's also the [awesome] mall level of Left 4 Dead 2.

I love that level....damn fire alarms!

Gusington

That game gave me heart failure in many different ways :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2015, 07:34:41 PM
That game gave me heart failure in many different ways :)

Man up and stop "teeheeing." You might fare better.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I would think a mall would attract survivors. That might be a good or bad thing. Where the survivors go, so too do most of the zombies.

Depending on the mall, there's a lot of square footage to cover. You'd have to have a large group to effectively cover it all, and a large group means a huge drain on supplies. Also, once power and water services go out for good, those cooking facilities (not to mention toilets and such) will all go buh-bye. The interior of the mall would be difficult to navigate, unless there's huge skylights (which most have), but that would also mean access points too.

Though if the mall has a gaming store, I'm all in.  ;D

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

GDS_Starfury

Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 12, 2015, 04:46:03 PM
Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!     Tee Hee!!!

Do you know how we know you're gay?