"Bloody" Day at ESPN today

Started by bayonetbrant, April 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Quote from: OJsDad on April 26, 2017, 11:09:26 AM
DQ, that's assuming enough people could get fast enough internet access that isn't capped.

Agreed. Very good point.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 11:43:17 AM
Speaking of cord cutting

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170425/10063437234/cord-cutting-is-very-real-25-americans-wont-subscribe-to-traditional-cable-next-year.shtml

DSLReports.com has been writing about this for some time.  The article above talks about cables monopoly on broadband.  We just signed up for a service from AT&T call Wireless Home Phone & Internet Rural Plan.  There were 2 options, a 250gb/month for $60 plan and a 500gb/month for $100 plan.  We went with the 250gb plan.  In exchange we're our Frontier home phone service to the new service and dropping our sub 1mb DSL line, for the same costs. 

Dish also has a lot of spectrum that they own.  There's been a lot of speculation on what they plan on doing with it. You've also got T-Mobile doing a lot with plans.

I'm not sure those cable monopolies are as secure as some think.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/latest-espn-layoffs-part-effort-160053237.html

I can't remember that last time I considered Sports Center must-see tv. At least 15 years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

This sounds terrible

Quote"ESPN executives are moving forward with the plan to shift Mike Greenberg — one-half of the long-running 'Mike & Mike' radio show on ESPN Radio — into a new role as the lead host of a television show that would air in the mornings on ESPN. The new show will have elements of 'SportsCenter' — which currently airs at that time — as well as a traditional morning show. It is expected to be based in New York City. The new program would put an end to end to Greenberg's on-air partnership with Mike Golic, which began in October 1998."

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

bayonetbrant

Some BIG names getting whacked now...

Jayson Stark
Jay Crawford
Danny Knell
Len Elmore
Trent Dilfer
Jane McManus
Jim Bowden

plus the guys above... 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

mirth

Can't say I'm sad to see Dilfer go.

bayonetbrant

Roger Cossack (legal analyst) gone now, too

bayonetbrant

Darren Hayes
Greg Ostendorf

holy crap...  Dr Jerry Punch!  Damn, maybe they can get him back on Raycom sports as the sideline guy for the ACC game of the week here

mirth

bayonetbrant

There's still reports coming in from folks who were waiting to talk to family before going public.  There will still be announcements into the night.

ESPN isn't releasing a list (they might later), so it's up to the indiv's to announce that they were laid off

Staggerwing

Sounds like it's enough folks to staff a rival network. Hmm...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys