Add Here - Time Saver tips for New RPG players

Started by gameleaper, August 07, 2016, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I am playing solo and am running NPCs, I have just foundout you can roll for stats on the fly for NPCs you encounter, this saves you writing out character sheets for everything you meet, I may be dumb here but I was creating cut-down char sheets for everthing, this is the workload that was putting me off, but now its a breeze.

Please add more tips to this list.

gameleaper

My next tip is to watch youtube.com videos on character creation for your chosen game

gameleaper

My next tip, is if your new, try only an RPG you like the sound of, I joined an RPG about a story I wasn't fond of, and soon became bored, so look at games that interest you for your first game

gameleaper

Look on the net for interactive character sheets in pdf form, you don't need to print them , you can edit on the sheet.

gameleaper

buying a pdf version of your chosen RPG has some benefits, you can search for key words, you can copy snippets of text from it and insert them into char sheets or in chat. you can read them on a big screen, they don't get wet, you can buy online so no waiting

gameleaper

join your first couple of games as a lurker, I was surprised on how a game actualy looked in text form. RPGs are suited to text rather than looking like a video game, its like chess you play it out in your mind mostly

gameleaper

one tip I should not give, but I cant resist its so good, but World of Darkness its possibly the best and easiest start you can get into RPGs. I would give it 10 out of 10.

The reason this system is easy, is its simple rules but its based on our world but a bit darker,  so you know the setting before you even read the book. its moody too.

gameleaper

Don't just buy an RPG a read it from cover to cover, its the wrong thing to do, watch youtube on character creation to see how a game is put together then the book becomes a reference for thing like equipment or weapons or specific rules, you would not read a dictionary or a phone book, but you just need to find what your looking for. once you can play an RPG then read the full RPG book.

gameleaper

Another tip, if you don't have a party of friends, there is a special set of rules that allow you to play any any! RPG solo, its a Game Master Emulator, you should research it.

EG: you ask it questions like "Does this Road Have any cars on it?" you would guess its about 70% likely cars are on the road, you roll 2d10s and get a number from 1-100 if its below 70 you now know there are cars on the this particular road, the trick is to ask the right questions.

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on August 07, 2016, 09:58:53 PM
buying a pdf version of your chosen RPG has some benefits, you can search for key words, you can copy snippets of text from it and insert them into char sheets or in chat. you can read them on a big screen, they don't get wet, you can buy online so no waiting

My only use for PDFs has been to print off tables, lists, or maps easily.  So I don't need to squeeze the physical book into the scanner, nor try searching the web to see if someone uploaded the specific stuff I wanted.

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but I try to completely avoid using a notebook pc or tablet at the table, in group play.  It may be faster using a Ctrl+F search, but I'm too worried it will detract or distract from the raw pen & paper or cardboard environment.  Using such, playing over the 'net, obviously doesn't break anything since it's already a digital experience.

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 07, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 07, 2016, 09:58:53 PM

My only use for PDFs has been to print off tables, lists, or maps easily.  So I don't need to squeeze the physical book into the scanner, nor try searching the web to see if someone uploaded the specific stuff I wanted.

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but I try to completely avoid using a notebook pc or tablet at the table, in group play.  It may be faster using a Ctrl+F search, but I'm too worried it will detract or distract from the raw pen & paper or cardboard environment.  Using such, playing over the 'net, obviously doesn't break anything since it's already a digital experience.

thats a great argument for having both PDF and HardBack, we should include paperback for when you travel :) it is a good tip though to use a book then print out certain parts from pdf

bbmike

gameleaper, check out NBOS Software for character sheets. It's free! It's fairly easy to create custom sheets. I use their software The Keep 2.0 to manage my RPGs right now. It's not free but worth checking out.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

thx bb, I will be looking at that in 5 mins, after I get a cup of tea to drink while I look.

gameleaper

The sheet software is good, I cant see pips rather than numbers, but for ffree is great, the keep is tempting me too, especialy after your recommend, I shall think what I'm going to do. thx bb

gameleaper

bb, you have just launched me to a new plane of existence, I cant believe I have never seen managers like this, maybe I have passively, but wow I have to research before I buy, but fractal mapper and symbol and keep bundles look promising.