An RPG Picked by You when you see an interesting RPG on driveThruRPG.com

Started by gameleaper, August 16, 2016, 04:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

Starships & Spacemen and Starships & Spacemen 2e

these games are early star trek RPGs and are cheap and self contained RPGs.

gameleaper

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/93797/Xplorers-RPG-FREE-No-Art-Version

its a free Space RPG, what I like is the A.I. Robot system( upgrade programs, buy skill upgrades , its great stuff), I was thinking you could play solo with A.I. Robots but remove the prime directive for your first two robots.

Dammit Carl!

Last one that tickled my "oooohh - buy me now sight-unseen," bone was Shadows of the Demon Lord by Schwalb Entertainment.

The combined dark imagery (courtesy of one of the illustrators from WHFRP 2nd edition, which I love), the dark tone (similar to WHFRP, which I am fond of), and the seeming lack of something out there that wasn't the current iteration of WHFRP from FFG - all that fiddly looking dice shit and crap and no, I don't care how it plays either, nyah  :P - sold me muy pronto.

Also, the 6th Gun stuff for Savage Worlds was a must-buy as I'm fond of Westerns; the illustrations were very nice and I really like the fact that it is nearer our timeline in terms of the overall feel, so not as much of that crazy Weird West stuff per se (but I do like that too, mind you) but enough to make it like "High Plains Drifter," to me.

bayonetbrant

the Justifiers series is pretty cool, but I can't, ahem.... "justify" spending $10/pdf on it.  No idea why they wouldn't price it more reasonably

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Gideon
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 16, 2016, 07:42:20 AM
Last one that tickled my "oooohh - buy me now sight-unseen," bone was Shadows of the Demon Lord by Schwalb Entertainment.

The combined dark imagery (courtesy of one of the illustrators from WHFRP 2nd edition, which I love), the dark tone (similar to WHFRP, which I am fond of), and the seeming lack of something out there that wasn't the current iteration of WHFRP from FFG - all that fiddly looking dice shit and crap and no, I don't care how it plays either, nyah  :P - sold me muy pronto.

Also, the 6th Gun stuff for Savage Worlds was a must-buy as I'm fond of Westerns; the illustrations were very nice and I really like the fact that it is nearer our timeline in terms of the overall feel, so not as much of that crazy Weird West stuff per se (but I do like that too, mind you) but enough to make it like "High Plains Drifter," to me.

Shadows Of The Demon Lord is nice.  I got the hardback, which isn't terribly expensive for a hardback, too.   It's a pretty simple system but has character advancements similar to early WFRP.  Which means characters are far more flexible than the stuff you get in D&D-type games, which is important to me.

Speaking of old WFRP, there is currently one that emulates 1st/2nd Edition on Kickstarter.  Will make separate post.

As for 6th Gun, I wondered why they bothered creating it for Savage Worlds when they already have Deadlands Reloaded for it, and plenty extra fluff add-ons.  Pretty much the same kind of setting.  I just figured people might meld the content together...?

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 16, 2016, 08:11:35 AM
the Justifiers series is pretty cool, but I can't, ahem.... "justify" spending $10/pdf on it.  No idea why they wouldn't price it more reasonably

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Gideon

I won't swear to it, but I think I've got a copy of the main rulebook somewhere - I'm in no mood to keep it, so its yours if you'd like IF I indeed do have it.

Its either that, or a copy of some other Gideon game I've got where aliens invade earth, I forget.

bayonetbrant

I used to have it and swapped it out with Nick Parenti years ago for something else.  It's not that I particularly want it back, but I thought others might like to check out the game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on August 16, 2016, 09:10:27 AM
As for 6th Gun, I wondered why they bothered creating it for Savage Worlds when they already have Deadlands Reloaded for it, and plenty extra fluff add-ons.  Pretty much the same kind of setting.  I just figured people might meld the content together...?

They do have a booklet that is supposed to help merge one into the other, I think, if the GM is so inclined.  That reminds me; need to pick that up [scribbles on post-it].

My guess is they went with 6th gun as its not the super-gonzo-weird-west but something a wee bit more subtle in a way.

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 16, 2016, 11:41:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 16, 2016, 09:10:27 AM

They do have a booklet that is supposed to help merge one into the other, I think, if the GM is so inclined.  That reminds me; need to pick that up [scribbles on post-it].

My guess is they went with 6th gun as its not the super-gonzo-weird-west but something a wee bit more subtle in a way.

Good to know.  I'm not familiar with the 6th gun comic.  The background setting is probably less far-out than the post-ACW Cold War between North & South, at the least.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on August 16, 2016, 11:43:04 AM
Good to know.  I'm not familiar with the 6th gun comic.  The background setting is probably less far-out than the post-ACW Cold War between North & South, at the least.

Yup.  You still got voodoo, spirits, zombies, etc. but its toned down (to an extent) and applied to our actual timeline = something that possible gamers can wrap their heads around a smidge bit easier.

Dammit Carl!

Re: Justifiers for Bayonet

Sorry, but I couldn't find the book.  Not to say that it isn't still in my possession, but danged if it was in the easy-to-look-through boxes.  Did find the "Invasion," themed one for what it was worth.

gameleaper

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/79964/Wild-West-Cinema-rulebook

I don't know if its on sale , but its normaly $14.95  but now its $4.49

Its Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti Westerns RPG , what more could you want

bbmike

Tempting. I've look at several western RPGs but I think it would be hard to run one.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on August 18, 2016, 07:13:25 PM
Tempting. I've look at several western RPGs but I think it would be hard to run one.

A mundane Western would get too repetitive, too quickly, for me to attempt.

If we aren't spraying demons shooting out of toilets with automatic/friggin' laser fire, or frying changeling milkmen with lightning from your hands, then it's of limited use.  :))

gameleaper

Ive just skimmed it, all the NPCs are Done for you , I found this great for solo games,I know lots of RPGs have monster stats - but this one is good, you have classes of gunfighters too all setup as default ready for the player to finishup, there is a multipart adventure included, its the full western experience.  and the Luck dice is a great mechanic.

I think I saw a preview of the rules here it is http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/79266/Wild-West-Cinema--Preview?term=Wild+West+Cinema&test_epoch=0

I really like the rules, about 110 pages