Starship Enterprise

Started by JudgeDredd, August 25, 2016, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I really should start making what I buy - but I saw this on a recent trip to Glasgow and couldn't help myself - as a big trekkie fan.

Not a fan that knows everything about the Trek universe - just a fan.

The instructions

And the sprues

Lots of clear stuff

Dry fit

This thing is over half a metre long!

Some care will have to be taken with the building...there's lots of decals and also lots of windows. I guess the best way to go is to fit the windows, build, mask with liquid mask, paint and decal.

Looking forward to this - but I have no idea when I will honestly get around to it.
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

I have several pre-built models of this ship (long story) but I don't understand the hate for the design in some circles.

Good luck on the build, JD!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

I was so excited when I saw the thread title. Then I saw...it was...that 'Enterprise'...

>:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I love them all...well, the Constitution Class anyway.  :)
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2016, 02:44:26 PM
I was so excited when I saw the thread title. Then I saw...it was...that 'Enterprise'...

And this from Mr. "you have to watch all the TOS episodes even if they suck"  >:D >:D >:D

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

That's a lot of clear plastic bits for all those window holes.

You gonna paint some blue/white-ish color onto those clear windows before gluing them in?

I literally have a Hobbytown store located at the end of my street.  I only rarely go there if I feel the need to pick up an odd acrylic paint color, but they pretty much only have Tamiya paints (not my pref). 

Anyway.. I was surprised at how many sci-fi models they have on offer there.  Sure, they still have the typical WWII offerings you'd expect, but I recall seeing all kinds of Star Trek, Star Wars, and more obscure IP kits last I went (BSG, Dr Who?, etc).   The prices were enough to give me a stroke, and remind me why I don't do modelling, but after seeing so many hordes of WWII kits mixed with a little cold war stuff, in most stores,  it struck me as a bit unusual.  This post reminded me of it.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on August 25, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
That's a lot of clear plastic bits for all those window holes.

You gonna paint some blue/white-ish color onto those clear windows before gluing them in?

I literally have a Hobbytown store located at the end of my street.  I only rarely go there if I feel the need to pick up an odd acrylic paint color, but they pretty much only have Tamiya paints (not my pref). 

Anyway.. I was surprised at how many sci-fi models they have on offer there.  Sure, they still have the typical WWII offerings you'd expect, but I recall seeing all kinds of Star Trek, Star Wars, and more obscure IP kits last I went (BSG, Dr Who?, etc).   The prices were enough to give me a stroke, and remind me why I don't do modelling, but after seeing so many hordes of WWII kits mixed with a little cold war stuff, in most stores,  it struck me as a bit unusual.  This post reminded me of it.
I was going to put them in and then use liquid mask
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 25, 2016, 03:14:24 PM
's

And this from Mr. "you have to watch all the TOS episodes even if they suck"  >:D >:D >:D

What? For penance you must watch Gamesters of Triskelion three times! No, that's too harsh. Just watch Spock' Brain again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

400 quatloos on the newcomer!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2016, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 25, 2016, 03:14:24 PM
's

What? For penance you must watch Gamesters of Triskelion three times! No, that's too harsh. Just watch Spock' Brain again.

O M G........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mirth

I liked Gamesters of Triskelion. Especially the chick in the tinfoil bikini.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

DoctorQuest

And it IS the only place you can launder stolen quatloos.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2016, 04:41:59 PM

What? You must watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier as penance!
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

I would rather stick hot dilithium crystals in my eyes!

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2016, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2016, 04:41:59 PM

What? You must watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier as penance!

I'd sooner kiss a Horta.