Microsoft game pass for PC

Started by CptHowdy, May 19, 2020, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptHowdy

Anyone have any experience using this? Seems like a great deal until a game you have been playing is removed from the store and then you need to purchase it. Full game demos basically but a good way to try it out before you buy. Thanks for any input.

Grim.Reaper

i have it and for $5 a month worth it for me....i never play a game long enough to worry about it disappearing.

jamus34

I grabbed it on the $1 deal they were running for a month.

It's not bad but I'm one to put a game down and come back to it so the constant churn doesn't work for me.

Plus Micro$ofts storefront is hot garbage.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

I have it and I have been frustrated with the way the library works. I'm sure the problem is with my lack of ability to figure it out, but the games are all mixed in with the microsoft store and/or the XBOX console companion, which I absolutely hate. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to figure out how to create desktop shortcuts for my games...so every time I want to play, I need to go into the companion or microsoft app, or search for the game in the windows search bar. For me the desktop icons remind me I have the game. If it isn't there, out of sight - out of mind. The games rarely get played.  I've also struggled with locating where the games get downloaded and the process of changing that. I install most of my games to the D: but of course windows wants to install all of its still into some random windows folder on my C:...I'm sure it is designed to make things much easier, and it seems like it would be a fine system for a console player (or an idiot), but it is nothing but annoying for a PC guy who likes to control and customize his computer and software. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Yep, the game pass app not very good, technically still considered a beta...but I doubt it gets much better anytime soon.  You can change the drive of installs (and turn on prompt to ask you for drive each time you install) in the profile screen, but I believe the actual folder is a pre-determined hidden microsoft folder that you don't have control over on the drive...weird process for sure.  My downloaded games show up on a quick bar that is always displayed on the main screen so not too bad for me, but then again likely don't use a ton either.

Philistine

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 19, 2020, 06:19:53 PM
I have it and I have been frustrated with the way the library works. I'm sure the problem is with my lack of ability to figure it out, but the games are all mixed in with the microsoft store and/or the XBOX console companion, which I absolutely hate. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to figure out how to create desktop shortcuts for my games...so every time I want to play, I need to go into the companion or microsoft app, or search for the game in the windows search bar. For me the desktop icons remind me I have the game. If it isn't there, out of sight - out of mind. The games rarely get played.  I've also struggled with locating where the games get downloaded and the process of changing that. I install most of my games to the D: but of course windows wants to install all of its still into some random windows folder on my C:...I'm sure it is designed to make things much easier, and it seems like it would be a fine system for a console player (or an idiot), but it is nothing but annoying for a PC guy who likes to control and customize his computer and software.

Most of the frustrations should be resolvable by using the "XBox Game Pass for PC (Beta)" App.  You might have already had to install it for Game Pass, but here's the link:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-beta/cfq7ttc0kgq8?ICID=PC_TopStripe_PC_Game_Pass_03122020&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab.  This lets you just browse the PC Games.

You can specify the drive that it will default to to install games in the App.  Click on your profile, then under settings, go to general, and there is a "drive selection" section.  AIUI, that's as far as you can go, and you can't specify a directory.  I believe it goes into the "WindowsApps" directory on that drive--which is a bit of a kludge to even view the contents of.

For desktop shortcuts, just drag and drop from the start menu.

--Philistine

Jarhead0331

^thanks. I'll check it out.

Drag and drop from where, though? I've tried that before.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philistine

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 20, 2020, 07:03:04 AM
Drag and drop from where, though? I've tried that before.

For me, the Windows 10 Start Menu -- the windows icon in lower left.  Brings up a list of programs.  The PC Games Pass ones show up for me there, and dragging from there to desktop creates a shortcut.

--Philistine

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

WYBaugh

JH, in the application right click on the installed game on the left and there's a menu selection for creating a desktop icon.

I was good with $5 but $10 is probably going to have me nope out. 

airboy

A Wall St. Journal financial opinion piece claims that Microsoft bought ZeniMax Media (think Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom) so that any new releases in these franchises would be live on Game Pass on the day of release.