No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Barthheart on March 03, 2016, 07:46:59 PM
Gog has for per-order too. Same $60. Same free better ship.

Might be interesting to try to multi-play as you can apparently share maps/discoveries... maybe have the group try to meet up at some common central point....

Didn't they say you can't meet other players?

Barthheart

All I've read is that it would highly improbable to run into other players because of the size of the Universe... but it could happen.

Barthheart

So.... over on IGN they were playing with a version for the PS4..... Does that mean that the universe is shared across platforms?   ???

Yskonyn

I still haven't seen anything other than it being an impressive tech demo.
Sure, the engine is impressive. The size is impressive. But what about an actual purpose? Narrative? I haven't seen anything yet that warrants play beyond its shinyness of being a new game with a massive freeform world.
If everything is procedurally generated then I fear it might fall into the same pitfall so many other games have fallen into; generic blandness of everything you come across.
Sure, the thing you find might be gorgeous, on its own, but after you've found 50 planets, what does it matter? What makes this planet be more worthwhile over the previous ones? Questions that are still open for me.

EDIT: Well actually a dutch gaming site has just placed an article of their hands-on with the game. It does seem that there is more to it than generic procedural generated stuff. There seems to be lore. Life and interaction with that life. Factions / tribes to meet and help or hinder.
But they do close with the following comment: "You know now; No Man's Sky is everything. It's an FPS, rpg, space-sim and so much more. It's a sandbox bigger than you can ever imagine. It's freedom without boundary. But how fun is freedom without boundary? Minecraft enthousiastically calls out 'Super fun!', but Minecraft is about creativity. No Man's Sky trusts on your curiosity to drive you. The player without this trait will probably bore himself without boundary quickly." - Gamer.nl
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

OJsDad

The fighter craft in the one vid reminds me of the Viper from Battlestar Galactica. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

OK, I preordered to get the ship upgrade. Anyone else?

Quote from: Barthheart on March 03, 2016, 08:17:38 PM
All I've read is that it would highly improbable to run into other players because of the size of the Universe... but it could happen.

Couldn't you just travel to the same co-ordinates as your team mates? If somebody finds a neat planet or lively conflict zone there must be a way of passing on the location, no?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Capn Darwin

I did too. Should be an interesting game/sim/adventure.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

I will pre-order, but still a bit too early. I'll probably splurge at some point in June.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 15, 2016, 06:53:37 AM
OK, I preordered to get the ship upgrade. Anyone else?

Quote from: Barthheart on March 03, 2016, 08:17:38 PM

Couldn't you just travel to the same co-ordinates as your team mates? If somebody finds a neat planet or lively conflict zone there must be a way of passing on the location, no?

I agree that should be the way to do it... but I don't think you start with tech enough to allow you to fly anywhere in the universe... only the local system(s) at first..? One of the demos had the developer flying wherever he wanted but he specifically said he was flying in a 'special' ship that could... sounded like you need to tech up a lot to get to that level...

Still intrigued by this title but... like I really need another time sink.... and summer is upon the Great White North and I need to get my vitamin D intake for the coming winter...  :P

Capn Darwin

From what I've seen, this appears to be a massive single player game that must feed information to players games on what others have found. Similar to Spore. I don't think you will ever be in a PVP situation. I could be wrong.  :coolsmiley:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Staggerwing

Gus will like it then.

Maybe the dev's should have called it 'No Man's Lawn'...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

The graphics do not appeal to me in the slightest
Alba gu' brath

bboyer66

Have been watching some videos on youtube with the designer playing. Frankly in its current state it looks like a snooze fest. Not one thing in the videos looked like it would be all that much fun.  Hope I am wrong.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bboyer66 on May 17, 2016, 09:10:43 AM
Have been watching some videos on youtube with the designer playing. Frankly in its current state it looks like a snooze fest. Not one thing in the videos looked like it would be all that much fun.  Hope I am wrong.

You didn't like the massive hover-tank battles?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18