Horton go 229

Started by LongBlade, October 12, 2013, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Amazon sucker punched me this week with a $12 offer on this little baby.

The box was crumpled but the components were fine. Can't wait to start working on it.

Biggest decision is what to do for a paint scheme. Historical would be cool, but I'm thinking about something custom. Space Wolves? I dunno. Something maybe different. It's only $12 so I'm not sure it matters.

Thoughts?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

God! I haven't built a Revell model since I was 16! I used to have complete control of all land, sea, air and space with the dozens of Revell models I had in my room. I'm looking at the Bismarck on Amazon now and my finger is hovering over the "purchase" key.

Staggerwing

Do it up in USAAF insignia/capture stripes over her Luft colors as if it were being tested by US aviation engineers.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Capn Darwin

Go Captain America on it and do it up in Hydra colors. :D
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

DoctorQuest

^Screw the Horton. Where'd you get the starships? :)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

GDS_Starfury

thats a great little kit.  go with a 3 color splinter scheme.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

That was such a sweet deal that I snagged myself one as well (only 5 left!) as well as the FW Huckebein that popped up in the recommendation bar:

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

LongBlade

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 12, 2013, 02:49:11 PM

Amazon. I bought them for my Federation Commander games, though they were created by Mongoose Publishing for a different game, A Call to Arms.

You can also get minis off the Amarillo Design Bureau's website, though the Mongoose ones are probably better, being pewter and somewhat cheaper.

The best deal is a fleet pack for ~$100, but you can get some minis for less in different kits. There are several, but here's one to start you off: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QMNL7A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006QMNL7A&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 12, 2013, 03:17:41 PM
thats a great little kit.  go with a 3 color splinter scheme.

I'm not a huge fan of that scheme. I know it's historical - I just don't think it's very sexy.

Capn Darwin

Do it up in a WW1 multicolor hex scheme.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: LongBlade on October 12, 2013, 07:57:43 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 12, 2013, 02:49:11 PM

Amazon. I bought them for my Federation Commander games, though they were created by Mongoose Publishing for a different game, A Call to Arms.

You can also get minis off the Amarillo Design Bureau's website, though the Mongoose ones are probably better, being pewter and somewhat cheaper.

The best deal is a fleet pack for ~$100, but you can get some minis for less in different kits. There are several, but here's one to start you off: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QMNL7A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006QMNL7A&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

Thanks, LB! We had a hobby shop in town that used to sell minis of that sort and I had a decent collection at one point but I think they had an issue with the space-time continuum during a move.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

Quote from: Capn Darwin on October 12, 2013, 08:14:45 PM
Do it up in a WW1 multicolor hex scheme.

That's a great idea, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much time on it. I may do a dazzle paint scheme. Or not.

Good news? I need to assemble it first. So far I have about four parts glued together. I really don't like wild bits of the casting sprue sticking out, so I take a lot of time to file them down - even when they won't be seen.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers