Main Menu

Panzer Strategy -?

Started by sandman2575, January 20, 2018, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Tim Stone provides a brief but tantalizing glimpse over at RPS

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/19/the-flare-path-catch-of-the-day/

Looks like a 3D Panzer Corps, made with the Unreal engine.

Undeniably pretty. And coming to Steam Early Access soon.

Yet the (Russian) dev's webpage is oddly content-free?

http://panzerstrategy.com/

Anyway, something to keep an eye on, potentially.

-budd-

Wondering how this will turn out, we'll keep an eye on it. Thanks. I also noticed the Battlefront info at the end regarding CM, guess there expecting a lot of releases this year. modules for Red Thunder, Fortress Italy and CMSF2.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Apocalypse 31

http://store.steampowered.com/app/769950/Panzer_Strategy/

I dunno about this one. I'm also keeping an eye on it.

Quoteregarding CM, guess there expecting a lot of releases this year

Wishful thinking: I really wish we'd see a game engine upgrade. Same engine since Shock Force, but with some polish on it. Wish we had something that was capable of handling physics and larger scale maps much better.

Destraex

Don't know what the point of zooming in to see strategic icons fight is. If however you zoomed in to see endless space style battles it may be worth it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

sandman2575

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 21, 2018, 08:53:44 AM
Quoteregarding CM, guess there expecting a lot of releases this year

Wishful thinking: I really wish we'd see a game engine upgrade. Same engine since Shock Force, but with some polish on it. Wish we had something that was capable of handling physics and larger scale maps much better.

Yeah, have to agree. After reading Tim Stone's article, I headed over to Battlefront webpage to see what's new -- hadn't visited for a long while. There's a Strategic Command WW1 blurb (which I couldn't care less about) and then the most 'recent' entry for anything Combat-Mission-related is a headline about CM Black Sea from April, 2017.

Sorry, but the idea that BFC is going to crank out new content in 2018 just rings false to me. I'll believe it when I see it, at this point.

And even if they do, the engine (and *especially* the UI) just feel very tired and dated to me.  It's hard to spend time with the Graviteam games, or even the Men of War / Call to Arms games, and then go back to Combat Mission, which feels many years behind the curve.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 21, 2018, 08:20:49 PM
Sorry, but the idea that BFC is going to crank out new content in 2018 just rings false to me.

One of the screenies does seem to suggest they're finally putting amphibious vehicles into the game, something they never did in the original (other than those half-assed assault boats that the AI didn't know how to use).

Other than that, it may not be so much "new" as just up to date. CMSF needs to be brought to the current state of the art engine-wise, it's the only CM title not yet to 3.0 or 4.0 or wherever they're at now. You'd think they'd accomplish this with some new scenarios and campaigns. The original campaign was set in a "near future" setting of 2007, which is a decade behind us. Does beg the question of whether they're going to include the last 10 years of technology (not to mention Syrian history!) or just stick with the original premise, scenarios etc. and just fix the game engine.

Modules for Italy and Red Thunder - looks like one is a new time period (Rome to Victory, presume summer 44 to spring 45) which will be mostly the same equipment as in CM:FB which covers Oct 1944 to Feb 1945 (?) with not as many heavy tanks (no Pershings, King Tigers, etc. in Italy, which was made obvious to players trying to design CMAK scenarios set in NW Europe). 

Two different options for the Red Thunder seem likely - adding in Waffen SS, Luft, Guards, etc. to the existing module (set Jun 44 to Oct 44), or extending the game to Feb 45 and just using the German equipment from CMFB and Rome to Victory.

demjansk1942

Plus, pay more money for every incremental upgrade.  They were my favorite at one time but still $ 60 for a three year old game.  Forget it, lousy- moved on

Skoop

Battlefront is stuck in a "SitzKrieg".  It's comical seeing steve pat himself on the back about simply staying in business for 20 years.  Where's the innovation that burst the original CM onto the scene in 1999 ?  They are a prisoner to their own conservative business model, and game development has suffered as you can see from the sentiment in most CM threads.  A great game for what it does, but could be so much more...that's the frustration of a CM fan.

RyanE

"...could be so much more...that's the frustration of a CM fan"

EXACTLY.  My continued and continuous frustration with BFC.  I have money in my pocket I would love to use to support them.  But years go by with little more than a hodge podge of packs and maybe if we are lucky, a module.  I think they really missed a very large opportunity spreading themselves out so thinly with developing so  many, games, modules, packs, etc.  that don't work with each other.  I mean, it takes six months just for them to issue a patch on know issues.

I still suspect the DRMs they have used in the past drove some of their decision-making.

sandman2575

Well, it's out, Early Access anyway,

http://store.steampowered.com/app/769950/Panzer_Strategy/

Anyone bite? At $20, cant complain about the price at least...

-budd-

I don't know, its not calling me. Panzer Corps 2 is also using the unreal engine, wonder how that will be by comparison.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JudgeDredd

Nah - not for me. I gave up on overly simplistic "chess" style mechanics some time ago. The world has moved on.

"Unique and realistic supply system"...how?
The most realistic logistic. A unit has its own reserve of ammo, fuel and so on. It must replenish it though. The supply is literally a vehicle with ammo and fuel that is passing from a supply depot to the unit. If this truck is destroyed the unit will not receive any ammo and won't have the possibility to attack. Moreover supplying depots are joined to the net by roads. If a road is cut by the enemy certain depots' reserves will end and units will not be able to replenish ammo and fuel. When units run out of ammo and fuel their efficiency drops to zero. So supply lines are extremely important in Panzer Strategy as well as maneuvering.

Build your supply system, maneuver to cut the enemy supply lines in order to exhaust him and destroy.

How is that unique and realistic? I think every game tends to throw that moniker in because it grabs at the heart of most strategy gamers.
Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Time to see it YouTube has any 'let's plays' on this game.  That will answer the question for me whether it's worth getting or not. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Zulu1966

Well judge if it actually does what that says then it sounds pretty unique to me. Actual different types of supply being transported by actual supply units from depots ... I can't actually think of one that does that ...

Don't disagree on the panzer general type games but this seems to have some interesting ideas for a game of this type

Reminds me of the OCS board game I used to play which has the best supply mechanics ever
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

FlickJax

Will never give up on Panzer Corps style games here....I will always prefer turn based games, old fashioned I suppose.  They could make it a bit more complex though or atleast try and shake it up a bit.