Main Menu

360 died, sort of

Started by Centurion40, November 22, 2012, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 05, 2012, 12:31:20 AM
Or... are these things very unreliable. It seems like they are always breaking down.

I've had my Original style Xbox360 for about 7 years now and it has never had any problems.

son_of_montfort

W8, thanks for the lengthy response.

I am most interested in console RPGs (outside of what I can get on the PC) and for using it to play certain styles of games not available on PC. I'm kicking around switching my PC version of Far Cry 3 to using my X-Box Gamepad (bought it to play some PC games that needed it), because it seems more handy than the keyboard and mouse combo. But I also worry about loosing accuracy in the game. Still, you can't beat having all the hotkeys right there at your fingrtips.

What RPGs are offered? I'm a classical RPG type guy. I also like certain games like Nobunaga's Ambition/Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I have not considered the PS3, but I'm also willing to be persuaded.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

W8taminute

My pleasure, anytime.  I love talking about this subject.   :)

If by Classical RPG guy you are referring to Japanese style RPG's there is not much unfortunately on the XBOX 360.  You'd be better off with the PS3 which has more titles in this genre.  You can get some titles though on XBOX like: Resonance of Fate (I have this for PS3 and it's a great Japanese RPG), Record of Agarest War, Star Ocean TLH (XBOX exclusive), Magnacarta 2, Enchanted Arms, to name a few. 

If you mean something like Skyrim or Oblivion type RPG's those are available on XBOX.  I guess when we're talking XBOX RPG's it's in reference to Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Fable III, and Game of Thrones type games. 

Nobunaga and Romance, now you're talking my passion.  Too bad though that the only games you can get on XBOX are the Dynasty Warrior series.  Nobunaga and Romance are Playstation 2 exclusives but the only current games you can get for the PS3 are Japanese imports.  Nothing got released for North America so far which is too bad.  But the PS3 has region free coding which means you can import those Japanese games but you'll need someone to translate either the manual or at the very least the menu commands.

As for ingame accuracy, whether it be shooting and aiming or just trying to perform basic actions I find that the XBOX controller is so much better than the PS3 controller.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

W8taminute

There there.  It will be all right.  Everything is going to be ok.  Santa will get you a new XBOX.  Well, hopefully?   :)

I can relate though, in that if I ever lost my console I'd be devastated.  Might even have to sell one of the kids in order to raise the money for a replacement.  Let's hope it never comes to that.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Centurion40

I wouldn't mind.  What would one fetch on the open market?

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

Shelldrake

Cent40,
Just saw a flyer from The Source showing an Xbox 360 bundle (250GB plus headset plus games) for $200 starting Dec 26. Give yourself a late Christmas present dude - you deserve it!  :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

Good tip Shellie, thanks!  It may be a better deal than trading-in the dead one 360 to EB Games.  I think that their 250 gig bundle starts at $250.

Centurion40

EB Games matched The Source's $199 deal.  What's sweet is that EB Games also accepts trade-ins (including dead 360s) for store credit, so at the end of the day, I picked-up the 250 gig 360 bundle (with some racing game that I'll never play and free Skyrim download- that I'll never use) for $136.48.  :)

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell