Strategic Command: World War I

Started by IronX, December 05, 2019, 11:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2019, 01:59:12 PM
For longer than I can remember. So at least three days.

I am very patient. ^-^
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

I'm leaning hard to get this with my yearly Matrix coupon.  However, there are two negatives I see.  1) Only one unit per hex. 2) Naval combat seems to have issues.

Most reviews on Steam are positive, but there is a negative one that is well written and lays out their concerns. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

-budd-

I like it, a lot. If you didn't like the way there other games play then your not going to like this one. The games are easy to get into with a lot of flava :) but the navel and the one unit per hex hasn't changed. OJ did you look at Warplan? if the navel and one unit per hex are a bother that game may be more up your alley. I've never really minded the tactical navel of the SC games, the no stacking did bother me at first because i think these were the first games i played without stacking but i got over and the games are fun as hell to me now.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

I hear negative things about the Naval Combat. Anybody else?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Philippe

Quote from: OJsDad on December 09, 2019, 06:45:03 PM
I'm leaning hard to get this with my yearly Matrix coupon.  However, there are two negatives I see.  1) Only one unit per hex. 2) Naval combat seems to have issues.

Most reviews on Steam are positive, but there is a negative one that is well written and lays out their concerns.

The lack of stacking isn't as much of a problem in WW I because of the lack of the (often silly) specialized units that show up in the WW II games of the series.

Naval combat has issues that are unlikely to ever get fixed (it would require a complete rethink of much of the game system which wouldn't be that hard to do but is extremely unlikely to happen).  However, it never bothered me too much in the earlier incarnations of the game if the Germans didn't try to sally out a la Jutland.  The Med seemed to work ok, but it was always hard to ignore the wonky naval mechanics in the Baltic.  If you've never played Steam and Iron it shouldn't bother you too much.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 09, 2019, 07:53:09 PM
I hear negative things about the Naval Combat. Anybody else?

I haven't read anything about the negative comments about the Naval Combat so I'm afraid I'm uninformed about that.  I have not seen any issues with Naval Combat however and am satisfied with how it works in game.  Take that with a grain of salt however because my specialty and interests lies with land and air combat.  I'm no naval expert and am content with the system in game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

The complaints I remember we're about the game being strategic and the counters are single ten strength ships. People mentioned it being like whack a mole where ships can hit and run out of sight , rinse and repeat with other ships. The developer mentioned that the design was to have the navel game more tactical. I don't mind it but can see where the others are coming from. I enjoy the cat and mouse aspect of the navel game. It is less of an issue in the WW1 game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

FarAway Sooner

The Naval Combat piece isn't that strong, but my recollection is that the U-boat piece is more satisfying than the capital ship piece.  Let's face it:  How much of WW I was fought at sea?

I'm not trying to dis you Jutland fans, but WW I was a game mostly fought in Europe, and in that sense, the game works extremely well.

OJsDad

Budd, no I hadn't looked at Warplan, I'm more into WWI than II, but I'm looking at it anyways. 

I had just seen the gripes about the naval combat, and thought I'd get some input from those here that have played it already.

I just got my yearly Martix coupon and will be getting SC:WWI and a one or two other items. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

30% off for you guys this time...Good from December 18 through December 25  :coolsmiley:

http://grogheads.com/whatever/20432#more-20432

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Millipede

Old TImer

Many thanks.  I was a late beta tester for this so it's nice to pick up the release.

GroggyGrognard

Just in time for payday tomorrow.  :)

A worthy discount, so much appreciated and many thanks.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin