Star Wars 9 - Rise of Skywalker

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 12, 2019, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 24, 2019, 03:27:18 PM
Someone in the comments to the Quartering video went full autism ;)

Really? WTF is that supposed to mean?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 24, 2019, 11:02:26 PM

Seriously......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 24, 2019, 11:05:26 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 24, 2019, 11:02:26 PM

Seriously......

It's a term from the chans and it's frankly disgusting.

Essentially anyone that is obsessed with a topic.  Overly shares.  Is aggressive  with opinion.

If you disagree or get upset call them autistic.

It's a modern day hurling of the R word.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Nope, it was meant as a compliment. Autism is treated like a superpower now on the internet. I was referencing a couple of very appreciative comments from the subthread with that guy's analysis.

The concept is linked to Sherlock Holmes and "Rain Man" and similar super-focused amazing genius results from fiction (at least). This started (also on the chans if I recall correctly) back when Shia LeBoef was trying to hide his Trump resistance flags, and super-detailed and focused analytical teams foiled him at least three times within days or in one case hours.

The concept of "autistic screeching" to describe what SirAndy was mentioning, is also still alive and well as a insult criticism, although I don't know why anyone would think from the context that I was trying to insult the analysis. ???

It's admittedly weird, that the term is used for great praise and also great criticism, by the same people, but there we are.

The son of my best friend from high school has rather crippling levels of autism, so I promise I wouldn't report its use as an insult; but I wouldn't use it as an insult regardless -- I have never once done so.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

You'll have to forgive the misinterpretation Jason. 

As a teacher I heard that phrase hurled about a lot, and since I had IEP's I knew when it was accurate and how much it could hurt the kids on the other end.

Some of my best students were autistic and a lot of them had a really hard time, not just from the other kids but sadly their parents.  I had parents that treated supremely gifted autistic children like they were non-functional as people.

It also got thrown around at any kid that just seemed to have a passion for something.   I hated seeing kids being shamed for taking an extensive interest  with a word related to a condition that you shouldn't even be ashamed of.

My experiences made me a bit touchy on the subject.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

As the father of two autistic non-savant young men I'm a little biased myself.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Oche

Had to share this ("Skywalker Fall: Why New Star Wars Trumps New Coke Disaster") even though this was 2 months before release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CR7MEIH2lk&list=PLF4F70553836AAAC0&index=112&t=0s

LoganismyHERO

They should rename the title

"Return of the Jedi, pt 2"

Decent enough movie, but MY GOD.....reeked of RotJ

solops

Mixed review at my house. My son panned it. My son-in-law loved it. My thought was "Hmmmm, it's not as bad as I thought it would be". Had it been the first or second Star wars movie I would have thought it was one of the great movies of all time. I guess I am tired of seeing the same plot over and over and over. The poor writers must be twisted into pretzels by their effort to add twists to the same story again and again.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.