UAE and Israel Reach Peace Agreement

Started by Labbug, August 13, 2020, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Interesting analysis.

Trump and Netanyahu have claimed that "many other," in fact, "most" Arab states are close to signing onto the deal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Flip that around: aside from Iran and Turkey, obviously, which Arab states AREN'T likely to sign up for this unofficial alliance? (Palestine isn't really a state, but otherwise not them obviously.)

I haven't checked up in a while, but does Iran control the coastline and interior lines between the Persian Gulf and India?

I know Pakistan and Afghanistan and some former Soviet republics far to the north are between Iran and India; I'm thinking farther south where the Gulf politics might come farther into play. That does raise the question whether Pakistan might offer support though. Can't imagine Afghanistan would, with their Taliban troubles resurging.

There are pirate states on the south coast of Arabia, can't believe they'd jump in. Unsure how many states are on the Red Sea right now. Ethopia is technically a Christian state (sort of, historically -- they used to be the oldest unconquered Christian state in the world. Probably a Marxist state now?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I would imagine that Ethiopia would have a relatively good relationship with Israel and would not want to do anything to worsen that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The Babylon Bee spontaneously develops prophecy as a new product strategy, because satire has become impossible in our modern world:

Airboy in particular will love this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Gusington on September 16, 2020, 02:11:16 PM
^I would imagine that Ethiopia would have a relatively good relationship with Israel and would not want to do anything to worsen that.

Well, Israel kind of encouraged the (kind of) Jewish cultists of Ethiopia to migrate to Israel, but when they arrived they were treated not so well as inferior blacks, so I don't see why the remaining Ethiopians would be inherently friendly to Israel, unless it involves weapons or global political considerations.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on September 16, 2020, 07:37:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 16, 2020, 02:11:16 PM

Well, Israel kind of encouraged the (kind of) Jewish cultists of Ethiopia to migrate to Israel, but when they arrived they were treated not so well as inferior blacks, so I don't see why the remaining Ethiopians would be inherently friendly to Israel, unless it involves weapons or global political considerations.

WTF are you talking about? "kind of encouraged"? "(kind of) Jewish cultists"? Israel went through great efforts over four decades to help Jews in Ethiopia immigrate, at great risk and great cost. As far as "(kind of) Jewish cultists", I have no idea what you think you're on to, but it sounds like misinformed nonsense to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

Curious to me that Turkey and Iran would be cooperating with each other being that one is Sunni and the other Shite. The historical antipathy between Turks and Arabs makes it a little more sensible, but then nobody's been at each other's throats longer than the Turks and Persians. I suspect like an old Western movie, the first guy in the bar that pulls his gun starts the whole damned place shooting at each other.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

In my mind the Ethiopian Jews are just that - Ethiopian Jews. Don't know where the idea of 'cultists' comes from.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I think in the beginning there was a huge amount of skepticism about the Ethiopians being really Jewish. But since then DNA and other evidence supports their claim to Jewish heritage and they are now totally accepted in Israel. At least they were when I was there in 2009.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

There is an Ethiopian Jew in my unit who is totally devout and makes me look like a tree hugging, godless heathen.

It's one guy, so take it as you will. But Ethiopian Jews have a long, devout history - or so I thought.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Ethiopian Jews have a very long independent history, and their religion has developed differently. They are called Haymanot in Israel, but that word in Ethiopia just means cult/sect/religion, or religious branch in general and can be applied to Christian or Muslim cults/sects/branches as well.

Here an article about their status in Israel.
https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2019/07/11/the-killing-of-a-black-jew-sparks-protests-in-israel

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on September 17, 2020, 11:53:56 AM
Ethiopian Jews have a very long independent history, and their religion has developed differently. They are called Haymanot in Israel, but that word in Ethiopia just means cult/sect/religion, or religious branch in general and can be applied to Christian or Muslim cults/sects/branches as well.

https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2019/07/11/the-killing-of-a-black-jew-sparks-protests-in-israel

i cannot find anything of substance that refers to the Ethopian practice of Judiasm as a "cult". Furthermore, I cannot find any source that defines Haymanot as meaning "cult". It means faith or religion in every dialect and carries no negative connotation that I can find. It is used in Israel to refer to those who belong to the Beta Israeli community, or Jews of Ethiopian descent.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

My guess about Ethiopian Jews being kind of side-eyed for a while, would be due to the alternate Temple they set up after the Jerusalem Temple was destroyed.

For other religions that wouldn't be a big deal, multiple temples everywhere, but that's a pretty big deal in Judaism. I could understand being careful about integration, to ensure there weren't going to be problems. They could still be integrated, but it would be sort of like when Eastern Orthodoxy brings in former Roman Catholics or vice versa.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 17, 2020, 12:12:43 PM

i cannot find anything of substance that refers to the Ethopian practice of Judiasm as a "cult". Furthermore, I cannot find any source that defines Haymanot as meaning "cult". It means faith or religion in every dialect and carries no negative connotation that I can find. It is used in Israel to refer to those who belong to the Beta Israeli community, or Jews of Ethiopian descent.

I don't mean cult in a negative fashion. Just to indicate that their religious customs are different from mainstream Judaism. (that is why I offered alternative words in my second post). But not all Jews accept the Ethiopian practices as fully Jewish. And I gave you a respectable source on the problems of Ethiopians in Israel.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on September 17, 2020, 12:49:58 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 17, 2020, 12:12:43 PM

I don't mean cult in a negative fashion. Just to indicate that their religious customs are different from mainstream Judaism. (that is why I offered alternative words in my second post). But not all Jews accept the Ethiopian practices as fully Jewish. And I gave you a respectable source on the problems of Ethiopians in Israel.

Your respectable source is locked behind a paywall. It requires a subscription. Additionally, I never challenged your point about the community facing discrimination. I only challenged your claim that Israel only "sort of" made an effort to help Ethiopian Jews emigrate to Israel and that Ethiopian Jews are only "sort of" Jews belonging to a "cult". You haven't established either claim.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog