UAE and Israel Reach Peace Agreement

Started by Labbug, August 13, 2020, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

From what little is not behind the paywall, Israel took in so many Ethiopian Jews that they are almost 2% of the population.  That is a pretty darn generous acceptance of refugees.

Other than being familiar with the Old Testament and the New Testament references to Judaism, I lack the knowledge to understand potential differences between Jews from different countries.

This may be a difference caused by "UK English" and "USA English" in how the word "cult" is used.  Cult has a very negative religious connation in the USA.

al_infierno

In Lotti's defense, I don't think he's a native English speaker.  It might have just been an honest misunderstanding of the finer connotations of the English language.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Didn't notice this earlier, but a couple of days ago President Trump (and his administration) helped broker a formal peace deal between Sudan and Israel; as we kind of expected, and certainly hoped, might happen!

Now we'll have to see what happens going forward -- all the possibilities we thought about before seem to still be on the table: does building what amounts to a burgeoning anti-Iran/Turkey confederation put pressure on those governments to play nice? Does it push them closer to each other and do their governments think this means they'll have to escalate to keep regional influence from slipping away? Does this mean the US will be more committed now to hitting Sudanese anti-government forces? And what will happen, or not happen, after the election, win or lose either way?

Trump also confirmed that Saudi Arabia is one of five more nations looking to sign on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

WOW!  :wow:  Wonder why we haven't heard ANYTHING about this from the News Media, other than FOX of course? Never mind, I know why. So do you.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

^ Pete, it was reported, but buried.  Good news about anything Trump does must be either ignored or buried.

solops

Quote from: airboy on October 26, 2020, 11:15:30 AM
^ Pete, it was reported, but buried.  Good news about anything Trump does must be either ignored or buried.
+1
I read CNN every day. Pro Trump news is never front page, no matter how important or factual. Negative conjecture is often front and center. It does not seem like good reporting. Fox and CNN are both deficient in reporting foreign news. I have to go to BBC, Reuters and others to get world news.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

Well, that is more than I was aware of and I'm positively surprised. However I don't see any main-stream TV news organizations listed and I bet the ones listed buried the stories or gave credit to anyone other than the Trump Admin. I certainly haven't heard anyone from the many TV interviews Trump has done lately even mention it. Climate Change, plenty. I guess Peace just doesn't sell as well. Sedans, yes. Sudans, not so much.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 26, 2020, 01:44:51 PM
Well, that is more than I was aware of and I'm positively surprised. However I don't see any main-stream TV news organizations listed and I bet the ones listed buried the stories or gave credit to anyone other than the Trump Admin. I certainly haven't heard anyone from the many TV interviews Trump has done lately even mention it. Climate Change, plenty. I guess Peace just doesn't sell as well. Sedans, yes. Sudans, not so much.  :idiot2:

I know I saw it on CNN (and CNN is on the list I posted above) in what must have been prime time in the US (it was late at night over here in the EU).

The fact good news is buried can often be blamed on Trump himself.
I've heard reporters say after the vice presidents debate that they wanted to discuss how Mike Pence performed well in the debate but then Trump said 'Kamala Harris is a monster' and the focus in the media shifted.
And this is only one occasion where he steals his own thunder.

W8taminute

We have all forgotten that you salute the rank (or in this case the office of the president) and not the man.  This allows those who don't like the man to still show respect for the rank. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

airboy

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 26, 2020, 02:30:07 PM

The fact good news is buried can often be blamed on Trump himself.

And this is only one occasion where he steals his own thunder.

Agreed with that.  He says whatever random thought is going through his brain at that moment and often makes "stupid news" as a result.

On the "bright side," the people of the USA have a clearer idea of what the President is actually thinking about compared to all previous Presidents.  But like most things, something that is a positive can become a negative if taken to extremes.

Sir Slash

The last debate was supposed to highlight Foreign Policy and would've been an excellent time to discuss all the Trump accomplishments in the field. Too bad Racism in America and Climate Change was considered more important.

GDS_Starfury

peace through promising more f-35 sales.... what could go wrong with that in the middle east. :idiot2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob