UAE and Israel Reach Peace Agreement

Started by Labbug, August 13, 2020, 10:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

I don't know if this is a huge deal but I do believe it is a step in the right direction for peace in the Middle East.  We will have to see what happens with other countries in that region.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-israel-uae-peace-agreement

Jarhead0331

I guess the UAE did not want important industrial sites to start exploding across their country too.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Good point. The UAE didn't want the UAV's to start showing-up.  ;D   Of course Iran won't be too pleased, but what does make them happy these days?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn! I thought they'd all be friends now.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

In the words of Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction - 'I don't remember asking Iran a Goddamned thing!'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on August 15, 2020, 03:15:10 PM
In the words of Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction - 'I don't remember asking Iran a Goddamned thing!'

:DD
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Quote from: Gusington on August 15, 2020, 03:15:10 PM

Yea.......that was a good one Gus :notworthy:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Thank you, thank you - please try the veal.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2020, 10:47:59 AM
I guess the UAE did not want important industrial sites to start exploding across their country too.  :crazy2:

Technically we were never at war with the UAE, it was never considered an enemy nation.
It's more like a normalization of relationship treaty than a peace treaty, but still, IMHO, a big deal.

jamus34

Hopefully the UAE leader doesn't get the Anwar Sadat treatment.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 13, 2020, 01:48:50 PM
Good point. The UAE didn't want the UAV's to start showing-up.  ;D

I'm sure part of their rationale were the UAVs that started showing up from Iran already. ;)

Iran was already making some loud noises about having control of both sides of the Persian Gulf, one way or another.

Quote from: jamus34 on August 17, 2020, 08:54:45 AM
Hopefully the UAE leader doesn't get the Anwar Sadat treatment.

Good point. The UAE is pretty open to foreign operation within its borders in some ways, particularly for business purposes, but socially they can be pretty conservative by Muslim standards -- which doesn't bode well for agreeing to a peace with Israel. (Even though as noted the UAE wasn't at war with Israel exactly.)

I hope this leads to some other Muslim nations being more friendly to Israel and vice versa. Obviously some aren't going to take that path (not at this time anyway), but the potentiality alone makes this a big deal.

Now we'll see whether Trump gets nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. I have a hard time believing the Nobel Committee would award it, but he deserves more than just a nomination for this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 17, 2020, 09:23:53 AM
Now we'll see whether Trump gets nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. I have a hard time believing the Nobel Committee would award it, but he deserves more than just a nomination for this.

Considering what a complete BS the Nobel Prize for Peace thing is, why would anyone really care?