Main Menu

Started by besilarius, November 26, 2019, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Sam Mendes' World War I movie, 1917, got very good reviews.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2485528/sam-mendes-real-time-wwi-film-1917-has-screened-here-are-the-intense-early-reactions

Have to admit that this sounds too accurate to be enjoyable.  World War One was called The Great Slaughter in New England because of all the families that lost members.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

ArizonaTank

Glad to see a WWI movie. Long neglected subject.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

airboy

Critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes is 91%.  But the critics hated the latest Midway which was excellent.

Gusington

I've been looking forward to seeing this for a while. But like Bes said, not sure if I would be able to say I enjoyed it the same way I have enjoyed other movies. Like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List, it looks to be an excellent movie but I will enjoy it in a different way, if you know what I mean.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

After seeing Peter Jackson's WWI documentary, I am looking forward to this.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

How is Jackson's doc? I need to watch that soon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 02:24:55 PM

A must see!  There is an grogheads thread about it somewhere. I think it might be free now on one of the streaming services.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: airboy on November 27, 2019, 10:55:30 AM
Critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes is 91%.  But the critics hated the latest Midway which was excellent.
Well, lets not go too overboard  :timeout:
Alba gu' brath

Dammit Carl!

It's wonderful.  Proud to say my Son was the one who brought up going to see it (as they were covering that approximate period of time in history at that point) and we got to geek out over history together.

I contend that rather than killing Hitler if you could go back in time, Gavrilo Princip might be a better target.

Gusington

^There has to be more than a few books and papers weighing the benefits and detrimentals of each.

1917 is a must see for me, and will finally watch the a Jackson doc this weekend...I've waited too long already.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on December 06, 2019, 07:13:45 AM

It's wonderful.  Proud to say my Son was the one who brought up going to see it (as they were covering that approximate period of time in history at that point) and we got to geek out over history together.

I contend that rather than killing Hitler if you could go back in time, Gavrilo Princip might be a better target.

My 30 something daughter wanted to see this. She has become quite the history buff. My chest swells with pride.....  :bd:

We saw both the documentary itself and a "how it was made" video that was just about as good as the documentary. The "before" and "after" state of the films used as source material is incredible.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Is the 'How It's Made' available when you watch the feature? Either before or after?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2019, 12:55:55 PM
Is the 'How It's Made' available when you watch the feature? Either before or after?

It was after and it immediately followed the doc at the theater we were at.

Gusington

Look at Dr. Fancypants and his 'theater.' I'll be watching it on Amazon. I hope the making of is included.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Oh, please.......

Fancypants would be at a "Theatre", old chap. With one pinky in the air......