Main Menu

Mandalorian

Started by Jarhead0331, December 25, 2019, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Surprised not to see any chatter about this. I signed up for the Disney+ free trial to check this out. Made my way through 3 of the episodes so far. It's good. Not great, though...just good. Budget and effects seem to be a mixed bag. Some things look really cool, while others are a bit corny or fake looking. Story is generally interesting and it's nice to get some more of a glimpse into the life of a mandalorian. It takes place during an interesting period, right after the fall of the Empire after the battle of Endor. There has been one mention of the fledgling new republic.

I honestly don't understand the craze with baby yoda. He is cute and can be funny, and all, but people on social media are literally obsessed.

Anyway, while it's enjoyable so far, can't say it would be worth signing up for Disney+ on it's own, if you had no other use for this streaming service. Since I have you go children, I'll stick with it, but YMMV.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LoganismyHERO

Social media world is just plan....weird. I don't get it.

Love the show. It's slow at times, but it's Star Wars. You can put a turd on Tatooine and it would be a treasured landmark for me. O0

JasonPratt

Haven't watched yet. Tried to get a Dis+ account for Dad for Christmas (partly for this reason, partly for new Marvel shows later), but it only works on select TVs and accessories, none of which he has. (e.g. he has a Vizio, but it doesn't work on Vizio. Works on LG! -- not on Vizio. One hundred percent a licensing thing of course.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

My daughters and I have been loving the Mandalorian.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

The Mandalorian is extremely good.

So much better than the Disney sequels. 

Shocking.   You give a show to John Faverau, who launched the MCU, and Dave Filoni, who did Clone Wars and Rebels and worked directly with George Lucas and was his protegee, and you'll get something good.

No, Mandalorian is better than you've said.  It goes back to the Lucas original intent.   It's pulp, with elements from Samurai films and westerns.   It is EXACTLY what Lucas intended, serialized sci-fi pulp fiction.

It's the closest thing to what the core of Star Wars was supposed to be about since 1977.

And Baby Yoda is the new standard for social media.  The ever presence of it is fine, it's just the modern response to an idea that could've been done a while ago.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I think they are doing an overall good job with the show. It's a tough subject. Most of what the mainstream knows of mandalorians comes from the Fetts, and my understanding is that Jango was not even mandalorian by birth, but was adopted by mandalorians after his parents were killed. Boba, of course, is a clone of Jango, who also raised him.

Neither Fett had a lot of on screen personality and boba was definitely a silent killer with only a handful of lines. Here, they need to create a likable character who must interact with everyone else in the show so they have to give him some personality. I just wonder if someone who has the discipline to NEVER take his helmet off would have much humor, patience or tolerance, much less, compassion, for anyone or anything.

As an aside, is anyone having technical issues with the streaming? Disney+ has been very problematic for me and I have issues so far with every episode I have watched. I've been watching in my bedroom which has the weakest WiFi in the house...maybe that's is my issue?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

I can't speak to Disney+ but I have a couple of other streaming apps that struggle with weak WiFi notability Netflix and Tablo.

Have you tried D+ on a different device that might have a stronger WiFi connection?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 26, 2019, 09:41:09 AM

Have you tried D+ on a different device that might have a stronger WiFi connection?

Not yet, but as the most logical approach to trouble shooting, it is at the top of my list of things to try.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Copy that..... Forgive me... I'm a father..

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 26, 2019, 07:48:08 AM
I think they are doing an overall good job with the show. It's a tough subject. Most of what the mainstream knows of mandalorians comes from the Fetts, and my understanding is that Jango was not even mandalorian by birth, but was adopted by mandalorians after his parents were killed. Boba, of course, is a clone of Jango, who also raised him.

Neither Fett had a lot of on screen personality and boba was definitely a silent killer with only a handful of lines. Here, they need to create a likable character who must interact with everyone else in the show so they have to give him some personality. I just wonder if someone who has the discipline to NEVER take his helmet off would have much humor, patience or tolerance, much less, compassion, for anyone or anything.

Yeah, Jango wasn't a Mandalorian at all.  He just had a set of their armor, or at least that's what the Manalorians said of of him in Clone Wars. 

The show resonates a lot more for me because I watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels, and there's a lot about their society in there.  Seeing it translated to live action has been exciting for me, but it can be lost on audiences that just watch the films. 

I actually feel more harshly than you on the no removing the helmet thing.  It doesn't actually connect with anything we've known about Mandalorians before.  In Clone Wars and Rebels Mandalorians went helmetless a lot, sometimes entirely.   So this is a new thing for this show.  It hasn't really been explained where that tradition came from, but it can only be a very recent one lore wise.   I think it'd have been better to leave that behind and let us connect a bit more with the character.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I finished the series over the weekend. Episodes 6, 7 and 8 were really the strongest of the bunch. Overall, I enjoyed it and would like to see the series continue and expand. With the way it ended, I would be very surprised to not see a season 2. I still feel like the first season was merely "good" as opposed to "great". However, it does get bonus points for being the only live action Star Wars series available on TV. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

My older daughter told me that season 2 has been announced.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

Bay Yodas for all!

BTW I just installed this newly updated mod for Star Wars: Empire at War (Gold Edition) and it is insanely impressive, if any of you are interested:

https://www.pcgamer.com/re-fight-the-galactic-civil-war-with-this-gorgeous-star-wars-empire-at-war-mod/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd