IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

True, massive engine differences. The CloD engine is far more complex for example, more like DCS as a study sim with clickable cockpits.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

RyanE

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 01, 2020, 12:47:46 PM
True, massive engine differences. The CloD engine is far more complex for example, more like DCS as a study sim with clickable cockpits.

I have seen this asked before.  And I saw a simialr comment that it was the clickable cockpit that makes ore real.  What makes CoD "far more" complex than IL2?  Is clickable cockpit the main difference?  If IL@'s engine management was just as complex under the hood, would that still count as complex?

Frankly, I own both and I find CoD difficult to play and the last iteration released on Steam still had a lot of AI and performance issues.

Gusington

The Tobruk setting is damned sexy but that price...ouch.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

I can't spend on the CloD at that price point, even with the cool setting. 

I really don't like flying it it as much as the Great Battles games. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Father Ted

Quote from: RyanE on July 01, 2020, 03:21:01 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 01, 2020, 12:47:46 PM

I have seen this asked before.  And I saw a simialr comment that it was the clickable cockpit that makes ore real.  What makes CoD "far more" complex than IL2?  Is clickable cockpit the main difference?  If IL@'s engine management was just as complex under the hood, would that still count as complex?

Frankly, I own both and I find CoD difficult to play and the last iteration released on Steam still had a lot of AI and performance issues.

They are just different games, pure and simple. Whether one or the other is more realistic is a subjective judgement.  Myself, I favour IL2 over CloD. If I had the energy, I'd say why, but in the end it's irrelevant. It'd be like trying to define why one band is better than another - no matter what I say, I'm not going to persuade anyone that my fave band is objectively better than theirs.

Skoop

I would have gotten this had it been under the BOX IL2.  I want no part of CLOD, but when it drops to $10, I may check it out then.  Unless reviews for it are stellar, I can wait and see with this one.

JasonPratt

Some test footage from Wolfpack345 (one of my favorite simmers):

QuoteIn this exciting new IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover - Blitz Desert War expansion, you can fly with over 40 aircraft and variants from the Royal Air Force, the Luftwaffe or the Regia Aeronautica. See combat in the legendary Spitfire, sturdy Hurricanes, stubby Martlets, and rugged Kittyhawks, or take wing in deadly Messerschmitts and Macchis. The game introduces a flyable Wellington bomber, as well as updated versions of the Ju-88 and Heinkel 111H. Desert Wings allows bomber and fighter jocks of all skill levels the opportunity to fully challenge themselves in this historically based campaign.

In addition to the long list of flyable aircraft, there are over 25 new tanks, artillery and vehicles as well as 17 new ships, including massive battleships, cruisers, destroyers, patrol boats, submarines, torpedo boats and merchant ships; these additions allowing huge land and naval battles in ferocious detail.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings- TOBRUK  will feature a 385km x 385km North African map recreating in precise detail the strategic stronghold of Tobruk and the rugged contours of coast, desert and sea which surrounds it, with over 75 airfields, multiple landmarks and towns, an extensive road system as well as the historical fortifications, minefields and defenses, all based on actual maps from the war. Combined with the excellent multiplayer environment that allows over 100 players and dozens of AI aircraft online simultaneously, IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - TOBRUK  promises intense and challenging human versus human aerial battles.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Damage modeling on the ships looks outstanding.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Is the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 in the game and/or flyable?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2020, 05:18:04 PM
Is the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 in the game and/or flyable?

Apparently not flyable (if in the game).

QuoteComplete list of new Flyable aircraft for DESERT WINGS - TOBRUK:

German

Bf109E-7 (DB601Aa) (also the Tropical Version)
Bf109E-7N (DB601N) (also the Tropical Version)
Bf109E-7Z (DB601N + GM-1 Nitrous Injection) (also the Tropical Version)

Bf-109F-1 with MG/FFM
Bf-109F-2 with MG151/15mm (DB601N)
Bf-109F-2 with MG151/20mm (DB601N) (also the Tropical Version)

Bf-109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata) (also the Tropical Version)
Bf-109F-4-Late (DB601E 1.42ata) (also the Tropical Version)
Bf-109F-4/R1 (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20 mm gun pods) (also the Tropical Version)
Bf-109F-4Z (DB601E 1.42ata + GM-1 Injection) (also the Tropical Version)

Ju-88A-5 (also Tropical Version)
Ju-88A-5-Late (with upgraded Jumo 211F engine) (also the Tropical Version)

Ju-88C-2 Heavy Fighter (conversion of the Ju-88A-1 short wing version)
Ju-88C-2-Late (conversion of the Ju-88A-5 long wing version)
Ju-88C-4 (with Jumo 211F engine, long wing) (also the Tropical Version)
Ju-88C-4-Late (with Jumo 211F engine, long wing and added twin 20 mm gun pod) (also the Tropical Version)

Heinkel He-111H-6 Torpedo bomber (with upgraded Jumo 211F engine) (also the Tropical Version)

Italian

Fiat CR-42
Macchi C-202 Series III
Macchi C-202 Series VIII

French

Dewoitine D.520 Series 1 (Hispano 12Y45 engine)

British

Gladiator Mk II (also the Tropical Version)

Spitfire Mk IIB (Spitfire IIA with two 20mm cannon, four .303)
Spitfire Mk VA (Merlin 45, eight .303 +12 boost)
Spitfire Mk VB (Merlin 45 two 20 mm cannons, four .303 +12 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Spitfire Mk VB-Late (+16 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Spitfire Mk VB-HF (Merlin 46 High Altitude engine +12 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Spitfire Mk VB-HF-Late (Merlin 46 High Altitude +16 boost) (also the Tropical Version)

Hurricane Mk IIA (Merlin 20, eight .303 +12 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Hurricane Mk IIB (twelve .303, option for bombs +12 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Hurricane Mk IIB-Late (twelve .303, option for bombs +14 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Hurricane Mk IIC (four 20mm, option for bombs +12 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Hurricane IIC-Late (four 20mm, option for bombs +14 boost) (also the Tropical Version)
Hurricane IID Tankbuster (+14 boost) (ONLY the Tropical Version)

Beaufighter Mk IF - Late (with Hercules XI) (also the Tropical Version)
Beaufighter Mk IC (with Hercules XI, bombs) (also the Tropical Version)

Wellington IA + Tropical version
Wellington IC (with waist gun positions, standard CSBS bombsight) + the Tropical version
Wellington IC-Late (with waist gun positions, advanced Mk XIV bombsight) + the Tropical version
Wellington IC-T (torpedo version with front turret, bombardier removed) + the Tropical version

USA

Tomahawk Mk IIB (48 inches boost)
Tomahawk Mk IIB-Late (54 inches boost)
Kittyhawk Mk IA (56 inches boost)
Martlet III

Tropical Versions of existing CLIFFS OF DOVER- BLITZ aircraft:

Bf-110C models
Ju-87B
Heinkel 111H
Hurricane I/I-FB
Blenheim IV

Cockpit flashcards and short manuals will be included in the release, ensuring that experienced and new pilots will be able to competently operate and fly these aircraft within a very short period of familiarization.

Tobruk will also expand the original Cliffs of Dover campaign "to continue the English Channel campaign on the CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ map with additional new aircraft, vehicle and ship types covering the period October 1940 to August 1941."

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Gus, I'd be a little surprised if the recent mega-mod compilation for IL2-1946 doesn't have that craft. Maybe someone who currently runs the mod can check it out?

Meanwhile, more Tobruk action:

Gusington

I fell in love with that plane while reading The Pope and Mussolini a few weeks ago. Surprisingly Osprey does not have an offering on it either.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2020, 07:40:38 PM
I fell in love with that plane while reading The Pope and Mussolini a few weeks ago. Surprisingly Osprey does not have an offering on it either.

You mean like this:

https://ospreypublishing.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Marchetti

Search is a powerful thing.