Need Game Recommendation

Started by airboy, November 05, 2019, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I'm taking a geezer class on military technology from Napoleon to WW1.  My instructor played Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader tabletop back in the day and would like to start wargaming again.

What would you recommend as a good introductory PC wargame on the tactical level (say company level) set in WW2?  Something not terribly expensive and relatively easy to learn. 

I'm considering PanzerCorps but I don't play company level games much and would appreciate suggestions.

SirAndrewD

I still find myself going back to Steel Panthers for company level WW2.   However, the price for getting the windows version of that very old game is kind of high. 

I wish there was some real info on Steel Tigers out there after all these years.

Battle Academy?   Maybe a little simple but it's easy to get into.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/tigers-on-the-hunt

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame that creates a perfect combination of PC interface and streamlined play with in depth tactical simulation.

@SirAndrewD  Have you tried the free SP games ?

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

This is the free version of winSPWW2 for the Windows platform. If you are purchasing the Enhanced CD Version, we have included this file on the CD so that you do not need to download it here. The 'Features' section will allow you to check out the differences between the two versions.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

al_infierno

Unity of Command might interest him.

Not sure I would recommend Tigers on the Hunt to somebody new to computer wargaming, tbh.  The UI is dreadful and it's a very difficult game to get into imo.  He'd probably be better off just learning ASL and downloading VASL...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 05, 2019, 03:28:31 PM

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame that creates a perfect combination of PC interface and streamlined play with in depth tactical simulation.

From the game description:  The sequence of play is more complex and interactive than any other WW2 turn based PC tactical wargame

Pete - Appreciate your consideration, but this is not what I have in mind for someone coming back to wargaming after a 40-50 year absence.

SirAndrewD

@SirAndrewD  Have you tried the free SP games ?

I did.  I upgraded to the paid version of the Shrapnel games for both SP 1 and 2 some time ago.  They're what I was referring to, but you're right, he could always try out the free versions.  They both play well too, I just paid the premium for the HD mode since my eyes get worse as I get older. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Anything in the John Tiller's Squad Battles series should scratch the itch. Generally on the platoon/Company level and good entry mechanics.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Are you limited to a PC representation of a tabletop hex'n'counter game?  If not, surely Combat Mission and/or Command Ops2.

Destraex

Combat mission cmx2
Perhaps the older close combat games

Id recommend armoured brigade which I just got but its not ww2
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

airboy

The original Combat Mission is not very difficult, is tons of fun, and is inexpensive.  It would also work on a not very powerful rig (I don't know what he has).

Tripoli

This is a wild idea, so it very well may not work.  Ogre is cheap and easy.  It wold allow him to dip his toe into very easy wargaming to see if he still is even interested.  The downside is that it is science fiction, vice WWII.  If WWII is his thing, then Steel Panthers or the original Combat Mission.

One other idea: Have him look at some youtube videos of CM and Steel Panthers, (and other games) and see which might interest him.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MOS:96B2P

The Combat Mission Games all have free demos and would be a good start.   

Or if he wants more of a board game style with counters the new PC game WarPlan might be an idea.  Especially if he is familiar with and liked the board games Rise and Decline of the Third Reich or World in Flames which both influenced the development of WarPlan.   

Sorry you said company level tactical............... so scratch WarPlan. 

jomni

Can someone clarify wargaming levels.
When we say "company-level", is it each unit is a company? Or you command units which comprise a company (I.e. platoons and squads)

Pete Dero

Quote from: airboy on November 05, 2019, 03:43:51 PM

From the game description:  The sequence of play is more complex and interactive than any other WW2 turn based PC tactical wargame

Pete - Appreciate your consideration, but this is not what I have in mind for someone coming back to wargaming after a 40-50 year absence.

This was the reason I mentioned it for an 'older wargamer' :

This game is inspired by ASL and other older board gaming systems. It's the old full & half squad type of gaming. If you liked SL or ASL, you will enjoy this title.

It is not as complex as they let you think.

Dammit Carl!

Perhaps Order of Battle?  It's free and if liked, has plenty of reasonably priced "modules," to plug into the base game in order to explore different theaters of WW2 without having to re-learn rules/buttons/whatnot.  I've enjoyed the snot out of it for that reason alone.