Main Menu

Democracy 3

Started by republic, September 13, 2013, 06:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

I did something I never do and preordered Democracy 3.  Half because it looks interesting and half because I'm a teacher and I'd like to try (in yet another way) to help my students understand that checks from the government must be paid for...

Has anyone else picked this up?

LongBlade

SoM did a nice preview of it a while back. He knows the series and really liked what he saw: http://grogheads.com/?p=2041
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

Is there any military parts of this game, not detailed battles, but the ability to still participate in wars, interventions, etc.  Or is the game entirely meant only to deal with internal politics?

LongBlade

I haven't played it but I believe it's purely about domestic politics.

Need to buy this game and find out.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 13, 2013, 05:25:36 PM
Is there any military parts of this game, not detailed battles, but the ability to still participate in wars, interventions, etc.  Or is the game entirely meant only to deal with internal politics?

Military is dealt with only tangentially. I believe, if you cut military too much, you run the risk of having unpleasant events throw off the entire balance. Moreover, you now have a large number of "radical groups" with which to contend. One of them, a far-left liberal group of terrorists succeeded in assassinating me in response to increasing CIA and Police presence.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 14, 2013, 09:57:43 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 13, 2013, 05:25:36 PM

Military is dealt with only tangentially. I believe, if you cut military too much, you run the risk of having unpleasant events throw off the entire balance. Moreover, you now have a large number of "radical groups" with which to contend. One of them, a far-left liberal group of terrorists succeeded in assassinating me in response to increasing CIA and Police presence.

Thank you, I know you did the preview which I appreciated.  Couple quick questions.

1)  Based on what you have seen so far, do you recommend this game?

2)  Do you have any idea on possible release time frame?

son_of_montfort

No idea on release, but I would suspect it to come out in the next few months (if not before).

I recommend the game, with reservations. It is fairly dry in presentation - I mean the main screen is a bunch of bubbles with lines that go out and connect in a giant bubble network and then pour into a square "happiness" box in the middle. Making decisions is a slider and a text box. It is also turn-based, so you make a decision and then rue/reap the results as they are handed to you over the next few turns (and that can be subtle, as decisions take time to implement).

Thus, if you want a glitzy, fast-paced, and highly-interactive government sim, then you should probably look at Europa Universalis IV. This one is more of a policy and population game, staid and stately (sometimes ponderous), that appeals to would-be pundits, spreadsheet lovers, and people who love statistics and exit polls. If you are a min-max gamer, there is also massive potential for you to "meta-game" to try to get the perfect balance of unpopular and popular policies to ensure eternal re-election or to create a "utopia" (or your version of it).

It reminds me of those browser-based nation simulators.

If my preview intrigued you, then you are likely in the target demographic. One thing to consider, Positech tends to put up demos of their released games, if you want to wait. Otherwise, the price is fairly low and it supports a great indie developer.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Hrmm.. it's turn-based?

Now my interest is piqued.

Grim.Reaper

Released on steam today.....

Too many other recent game purchases to fit this one in right now, might be ready around the holidays so maybe by then it will have a little discount:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245470/

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
Released on steam today.....

Too many other recent game purchases to fit this one in right now, might be ready around the holidays so maybe by then it will have a little discount:)

I just saw that while on a shopping spree.  With all I've bought recently, it'll have to wait for awhile.

Grim.Reaper

I wonder if a government shutdown is modeled within it:)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2013, 06:41:05 PM

You boot it up and get an immediate crash to desktop.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on October 14, 2013, 09:56:46 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2013, 06:41:05 PM

You boot it up and get an immediate crash to desktop.

Yikes.

Unlike our own government shutdown, this kind of shutdown actually makes a difference huh?  :P

JasonPratt

The blurb quotes on Steam are hilarious:

"Apparently somewhere between the genuine bona fide electrified six-car monorail, the prostitutes and the land mines, I lost the support of the electorate."
PC Gamer

"I returned to Democracy 3 in an attempt to put right the wrongs of my previous administration. On my first visit, I broke Britain, crushing its culture and creating a country reminiscent of Clockwork Orange, filled with gangs and ultraviolence."
Rock Paper Shotgun

{clicking wishlist!}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

GOG.com is selling Democracy 3 for $24.99 if anyone is looking for a DRM-Free version.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.