Main Menu

Joker

Started by acctingman, August 29, 2019, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Jay: "Sloppy, broad, and lacking any ounce of cleverness."  :o
Mike doesn't disagree.  :o

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

^Interesting but I could only watch the first 10 minutes of their review before I gave up. 

It seems like the reviewers went through a standard checklist procedure for reviewing a movie but didn't pay attention to the overall story.  They're obviously experienced movie goers and can spot twists a mile away so it doesn't surprise me they didn't like it.  That's great that they were able to figure everything out (they must be proud of themselves) but does that mean one can't like a good story when it's told to them?   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Mike didn't actually spot one of the big twists coming (won't spoil it here, to be safe).

I'm at 12:40 in, and I don't quite understand why they didn't like the film. Jay's "without one ounce of creativity" is unusually extreme compared to the product.

My rough guess (based on what I've heard so far) is that the character is too far off beam for what could be expected from the Joker: he's crazy, in various flavors, but he's intelligently crazy (or faking being crazy in some continuities). Arthur doesn't really seem competent per se, which might make sense for an origin film, but neither does it look like he's ever going to be competent.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

They both agree the 3rd act is fine, though they have trouble seeing where it would plausibly go from there to anything like a competent Joker.

I think Jay realizes he was too harsh at the end; they both applaud Warner Brothers for producing this stripped-down film and want to see more like this, "please!" (They didn't even do their usual "would you recommend going to see it" finale. Basically yeah, go see it!)

Ubercat

And no straight white males have shot up any movie theaters over it? Don Lemon must be heartbroken.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

How dare you think in such cisgendered fashions, as though only "straight" white "males" could do such a thing!

>:D

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LoganismyHERO

Online movie critics are so full of shit it's hilarious.

airboy

I go to the movies for generally happy, upbeat stuff (including whacking bad guys like John Wick).  I don't enjoy depressing, evil psychodramas.  We will probably give this a pass.

But to each his own and I hope those of you who see it enjoy it.

W8taminute

I am so thankful to live in a country where I can watch what ever type of movie I want without government censorship.

Enjoy the movies you all love to go see folks.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LoganismyHERO

This movie is disturbing. Hope Phoenix gets the Oscar. Amazing movie.

Best DC movie ever, and in my top 3 comic movies all time.

JasonPratt

"A half-baked chocolate-chip cookie, is still a pretty good chocolate-chip cookie." -- Jenny Nicholson (formerly of ScreenRant I think).

Worth it for the composite of the Joker trailer audio to Meryl Streep's Mama Mia trailer.

MikeGER

do people actually watch YT reviews that, if you sum several of them, takes more time then watching the movie itself ?  :uglystupid2:

here is a good review that informs you in 5 min O0
(the review is spot on , I saw Jocker on Tuesday eve)

http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/joker

Phoenix is surly one who deserves a Oscar nomination for this one
I recommend to watch the movie for entertainment, and as a part of contemporary art / pop-culture

it was so refreshing to relish a "crime/action" movie without an constantly senses and brain overwhelming stream of CGI- explosions, -chases, -shootouts and -martial arts battles cut into a bazillion of split second shots from all angles 

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MikeGER on October 19, 2019, 03:20:56 AM
...(the review is spot on , I saw Jocker on Tuesday eve)
Is that the Scottish version of Joker?  ;D
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 19, 2019, 03:35:54 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on October 19, 2019, 03:20:56 AM
...(the review is spot on , I saw Jocker on Tuesday eve)
Is that the Scottish version of Joker?  ;D

na, its just Mike without a good night sleep and in a hurry when posting it ^-^