Long Night tactics from GoT S8:E3

Started by JasonPratt, May 04, 2019, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

You're right he's always stated he serves the realm.  In the grand scheme of things he's good for the world if he's truly honest. 

However...

I must admit I think I'm feeling the way I do because I'm looking at it from the point of view of the powers that be and the threat his type poses.  Guess I'm being swayed by the dark side lol!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on May 08, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
You're right he's always stated he serves the realm.  In the grand scheme of things he's good for the world if he's truly honest. 

However...

I must admit I think I'm feeling the way I do because I'm looking at it from the point of view of the powers that be and the threat his type poses.  Guess I'm being swayed by the dark side lol!

Yeah, he's actually one of the few genuinely good guys in the show.  He's vicious about it, but his intention always has been to protect the common people from the petty desires, squabbles and destructive wars the nobles are prone to engage in. 

The whole idea of Westeros is that it's a pretty harsh place, it has brutal winters, and it was born of a pretty violent conquest that even generations later hasn't fully healed in the minds of its nobility.  What gets lost in that are the millions of people that starve in the winter, die in the wars, get chewed up and spit out.  Varys supported Dany because she initially seemed like she was devoted to "Breaking the wheel" and actually putting the people first.  Now that she's shown that she's tending to be just like all the other tyrants that he's served before. 

Varys has zero loyalty to the nobility.  His loyalty is always to the people under them.  He told Ned just that back in season 1. 

I honestly wouldn't mind if in the end they kill pretty much everyone.  Jon either dies or refuses the throne and the show ends with them melting the Iron Throne down and Varys and Tyrion say "Long live the Republic."

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback