Main Menu

Escape from Tarkov

Started by Jarhead0331, February 16, 2017, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Escape from Tarkov is a FPS survival type game that is marketed as having ultra realistic weapons handling and combat. It seems to be a cross between Farcry, STALKER, The Division and ARMA.

EFT is only in alpha presently, but it is very polished. Ultimately, it will have several game modes including Story, Arena, PvP, PvE and offline, but right now it just seems to have PvP on a few maps and an offline mode for testing, as well. Presently, players go on "raids" which last anywhere from 40 to 100 minutes. You earn xp for various activities. Eventually, the xp will be used to level up various skills. You also get to keep the loot you find IF you survive. 

You read that right... I only recently bought into the alpha and while I'm still trying to figure out how everything works, one thing I know for certain is that when you die, you lose everything you are carrying, and I mean everything. You lose your chest rig, back-pack, pouches, everything in them, weapons, gear, etc.  I can see this mechanic getting very frustrating, but it is a key component of the game so its most likely here to stay. On the other hand, if you like FPS games and rogue likes, you will probably want to check this one out.  Just remember, even if you disconnect before a raid is finished, it will leave your player in the match without any control and there is a strong chance you will die and get looted. This is ultra hardcore, I guess, but I'm not sure I like it.

Anyway, the guns are the real stars of the show. So far I'm very impressed by them and the level of modding that is possible. The sounds in the game are outstanding and the detail in the environments are very impressive.

Here are some random screenshots from the web. When I signed up for the alpha, I had to sign an NDA. I only glanced through it, but I thought it said I was prohibited from posting pics and video. The images below are from the web and must be sanctioned. 

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

A better name for this would be Jarhead's Super Happy Funtime.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on February 16, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
A better name for this would be Jarhead's Super Happy Funtime.
Do they include a tube of gun lube in the package?
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Note that the lose-everything-except-skils-on-death-respawn, and being vulnerable to other players (or if the server runs the gameclock constantly) at disconnect, is also a fundamental tenant of ARK: Survival Evolved.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Nice Jarhead. I like the disconnect thing for stopping people from disconnecting to avoid death. But if real life is on that also means I lose my character.
THis usually means I only load a game like this when I am sure I have time. Which means it rarely gets played.

I think naval action got it right. That is that when you leave you can wait the 5 minutes for disconnect in case you get attacked or you have the option to just leave and your ship will float for 5 minutes and if you get attacked, bad luck.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Steelgrave

The game does look damned amazing though. Definitely going to follow it and see how it turns out.

Toonces

You have to have some sort of penalty for disconnecting, otherwise it's too easy to exploit the system in a lose-everything-if-you-die type game.

Perhaps there's compromises like Naval Action, but if you're really into the hardcore aspect, I suspect this mechanic will appeal to you.

Sounds like an interesting game.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Freyland

Why can't he? Can't watch a video where I'm at.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Freyland on February 17, 2017, 05:56:46 PM
Why can't he? Can't watch a video where I'm at.

Apparently, he made a video that was in some way critical of the game and it pissed the developers off (something about a server issue). I'm sure there are two sides to the story.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Dammit Carl!

Game does look fun - and being a sandboxy type of game that doesn't have zombies or mutants as the big baddies isn't a bad way to go.  Pity my machine can't run it (so far).

Toonces

Wait...no zombies?!

Off the wish list!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Time for a proper necro!

I am not sure how I missed this game. I always thought is was another DayZ-clone zombie shooter; something that doesn't appeal to me the slightest.
But far from it! Jarhead summed it up nicely in his OP, where I want to update a few things:

- Your main character is a PMC guy, basically a Merc, but you can also play as a 'Scav' or scavenger; an armed local with random gear.
Both characters level their skills separately (even though playing as a Scav is not really playing one person).

- Dying as PMC will make you loose your equipped gear, EXCEPT stuff in your secure container (you have one equipment slot for such a container and they vary in size depending on level).
You can insure gear for a fee which raises the chances you'll get it back after a cooldown after the raid has ended, but only if your body and gear didn't get looted after you died.

-Playing as a Scav is risk free. Sure, you'll loose the random gear he came equipped with if he dies and all the extra stuff you looted is gone as well, but at least you didn't pay for it.
On the other hand, if you successfully exfiltrate you get to keep all his gear and all you looted, either for using on your PMC char or selling for much needed cash.

Its always a risk vs reward decision; you're limited in carry weight and or available inventory slots (which depend on type of pouches, bags and rigs used).
What stuff are you willing to risk loosing as a PMC? How much ammo do you think you need to bring?

Most things can be crafted, or rather need to be crafted. There is a whole player run econony packed into the game as well as a light base-builder where you develop your own hideout which will enable you to start crafting your own stuff, reduce penalty cooldowns after getting hurt and a few other things.

The game features realistic ballistics and extensive weapon modelling and customization. It's really impressive! Think you're safe behind that sofa? Not if the guy has a high caliber gun and stands close by!
Hiding behind a wooden door from a guy with a shotgun on the other side? Bad idea!
On the other hand, hitting a moving target more than 50m away becomes difficult very quickly.
The game really models realistic survival and injury chances and situations well. No Battlefield / CoD magical hits from insane distances. No pinpoint accuracy. But realistic physics and ballistics. Again, impressive stuff.

The player economy I mentioned opens up at level 10. And really adds a new layer to the game. No longer are you scrounging all items you can find, but you gameplay becomes more task oriented.
You start to get to know the maps, the often contested areas and the likely spots to get good loot. While the player market will make it easier to get you your preferred gear as long as you can pay.

This gameplay loop is very rewarding and replayable!
Maps aren't only populated with other player characters, but also AI and sometimes even bosses. No zombie or supernatural stuff though; bosses are named characters with high level gear and therefore good armor and heavy hitting firepower and are always accompanied by a few guards.
Scavs can be either AI or humanly controlled and then you have a third faction on some maps called Raiders.
Scavs are not hostile to other scavs by default and AI scavs can even be given simple orders with hand gestures. Raiders are hostile to every other faction though and are always AI.
PMC's you never know. Some are hostile (most I'd say), but all PMC's are human players.

PMC's usually start at the beginning of a match (unless you are matchmade to an ongoing server due to low population) while Scavs usually begin somewhere during the round.
The idea is that Scavs have flocked to the area after being alerted to gunfire and will try and see what they can salvage.
It typically makes Scav runs a little less risky because several PMC's might already be dead or exfilled.

The sound design is noteworthy as well. The ambient sounds are very well done as are the movement sounds. Almost all objects or surfaces cause you to make realistic sound, making your presence known to nearby entities prematurely if you are not careful.
As a player you can control how much noise you make by altering movement speed and posture.
The game has a full body awareness system, much like ArmA. You can crouch, lean, go prone, etc.

Wounds are similarly handled; your body is divided into body parts and can suffer injuries per limb causing movement effects.
You can suffer bleeding which needs to be stemmed, fractures which need to be treated with a splint and food and hydration is modelled. Not very intrusively luckily, but enough to make you have to think about it. Low Hydration, for example, will make it harder for you to recover from wounds for example.

I have been playing for three days now and its the most thrilling experiende I've had recently. What a brutal, but exciting game!

Add me in-game if you want to hook up and do some co-op runs. Same handle in game (Yskonyn).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Is this fully released or still considered in beta, thought saw somewhere where it wasn't released yet.  And this is totally single player if one wants to play that way?  At some point I saw MMO attached to it but wasn't sure the context.