Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 29, 2017, 12:29:31 PM
The little girl was pretty unimpressive as an actor, but the rest of them were great, especially the security staff.

Agreed. The supporting cast went a long way to making it enjoyable.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I looked it up on Wiki and that vaguely Asian guy is apparently a huge pop star in the Far East, in some boy band named Fahrenheit.

They filmed the movie in Bulgaria, of all places. LOL. I guess Bulgaria is the Louisiana of Europe.

mirth

I was reading about it too. Apparently it was a direct-to-Netflix thing. I get Banderas needing anything for a paycheck, but Ben Kingsley? Not that I'm complaining, he made it a lot more fun than it otherwise would have been.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

That's the truth (about Kingsley making the movie). He plays a great bad guy...loved him in Sneakers.

mirth

Sneakers is one of my all-time favorite movies. That was a fantastic cast.

Staggerwing

Kingsley was a good Mandarin as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Kingsley was great, but the concept for the Mandarin in IM3 was awful.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on October 29, 2017, 12:53:12 PM
Kingsley was great, but the concept for the Mandarin in IM3 was awful.

+ infinity

I loved Iron Man comics, so the whole IM-vs-Mandarin thing was a long-standing rivalry that the studio totally butchered.

BanzaiCat

This movie is one of the best horror/comedy films I've seen in a while.

(Warning: a bit of gore in this trailer.)

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 31, 2017, 08:00:36 PM
This movie is one of the best horror/comedy films I've seen in a while.

(Warning: a bit of gore in this trailer.)

Eh..  it was... alright.  Had a few moments, I suppose.

There was more 'kid running around Home Alone style' than it needed.  I didn't end up watching the whole thing in one, or even two, goes. 

I'll admit that my horror comedy preference is a bit more of the Evil Dead or Stan Against Evil sort.  So my apathy was probably due to taste.

jamus34

As far as horror / comedy I would check out "Tucker and Dale vs evil" I think it is still on Netflix. Pretty funny and stars Alan Tudyck and Tyler Lebine.
Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

Another sort of comedy/definitely horror - Don't Kill It.

With Dolph Lundgren as a demon hunter! :)

mirth

These movies aren't exactly "gems"

BanzaiCat

Blasphemy! Dolph Lundgren is pure cheese! Pure cheese can be refined into jewelry! Just ask gameleaper; I'm sure he knows of a process.

mirth

I watched Arrival on Amazon Prime over the weekend. Excellent sci-fi movie.