Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on November 01, 2017, 08:38:01 AM
I watched Arrival on Amazon Prime over the weekend. Excellent sci-fi movie.

The one with Jeremy Renner? Yeah, that was a surprise.

I call a movie a "gem" if it keeps my attention. I think I have adult ADHD, because entertainment-wise, I'm all over the place. I'll have Netflix on one tab, Amazon on another, at least two to four YouTube tabs open, a board game within reach...it's hard for me to sit still long enough to do one thing, if it's not engaging. Arrival was something that kept me rooted until the end.

Sir Slash

I thought Arrival was a bit weak and predictable. Also confusing with the whole communication slant thing. But not bad. Dolph looks like fun though. Demon F.B.I. agents have got to be good.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 01, 2017, 11:02:01 AM
I thought Arrival was a bit weak and predictable. Also confusing with the whole communication slant thing.

I liked the language/time concept. And I really liked how it became a story about the choices Amy Adams' character had to make. The rest of it was really backdrop for her character's story.

Hard sci-fi with a strong female lead, not something you see a lot of.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

As for actual horror/suspense movies on Netflix..

I quite enjoyed the South Korean movie The Wailing.   :bd:

Was happily surprised with how I couldn't tell which way the things would go.  Being used to spotting plot twists & paths in most movies before they happen, this one kept me addled and second guessing myself.  Made it even more enjoyable!  8)

Highly recommend if you don't mind reading subtitles (which were done well iirc).  Don't read any spoilers!

BanzaiCat

I enjoy South Korean films in general - the ones I've seen on Netflix are pretty damn awesome. Thanks for the recommend, I'll check that one out.

ghostryder

Yeah I usually will give the Korean movies a watch. some are pretty good. One...I can't remember the title..."Train to....????" was a zombie movie and was about the passengers on the train as the outbreak took place throughout the city....was pretty good.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on November 01, 2017, 06:11:54 PM

Holy CRAP but that was a good film.  O0 O0 O0

Tuna

Quote from: jamus34 on November 01, 2017, 04:32:31 AM
As far as horror / comedy I would check out "Tucker and Dale vs evil" I think it is still on Netflix. Pretty funny and stars Alan Tudyck and Tyler Lebine.

Tucker and Dale was much better than the babysitter.. and what's the one with the Pet Zombie, that one is a classic? Is it "Fido"?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on November 04, 2017, 01:18:29 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on November 01, 2017, 04:32:31 AM
As far as horror / comedy I would check out "Tucker and Dale vs evil" I think it is still on Netflix. Pretty funny and stars Alan Tudyck and Tyler Lebine.

Tucker and Dale was much better than the babysitter.. and what's the one with the Pet Zombie, that one is a classic? Is it "Fido"?

'Tucker and Dale' is great, although the last little wrap-up kinda dropped the humor a bit longer than it should have. 

I also enjoyed 'John Dies At The End'.  Mix of weird horror & comedy.  The movie couldn't possibly do the book justice, leaving out a ton of stuff and having a completely different (worse) end, but it was still enjoyable.  Cult style film.

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2017, 07:35:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 01, 2017, 06:11:54 PM

Holy CRAP but that was a good film.  O0 O0 O0

Yessir!   8)

BanzaiCat

^ I just started another Korean movie called 'Office.' It's a fairly creepy murder mystery that's pretty enthralling. I'm about halfway through it now.

BanzaiCat

Thought I'd change the name of this thread to encompass Amazon Prime (and other) titles, too.

Did this to share this one with you guys. 'Tin Star,' on Amazon Prime.

QuoteSet in the majestic Canadian Rockies, Tin Star tells the story of a former British detective who brings his family to the tiny, tranquil town of Little Big Bear for a better life. But when his small town is overrun by migrant workers from a massive new oil refinery, the wave of organized crime that follows them threatens to sweep away everything in its wake and dig up the past.

Tim Roth stars, and he's pretty fantastic in this.

mirth

^I've been meaning to check out Tin Star. I enjoy most of Tim Roth's work.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I watched the first few minutes of something called 'Deutschland 83' last night. It's about the East Germans sending a young spy into West Germany to infiltrate the West German Military during Reagan's first term. It looks to be quite interesting for anyone who has an interest in the time period. Subtitle warning for those who find that a buzzkill.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

^ Sounds very interesting, but it's not on Netflix and not coming up as a free watch on Amazon Prime. Are you watching it through another source?

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys