Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I just can't do Will Smith again so soon after Deadshot or Deadeye or whoever he was in Suicide Squad.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Trust me SS, he's a LOT better in Bright. It's very easy to empathize with his character.

Sir Slash

OK. I'll give it a look. Finished "Godless" last night, finish-up "Punisher" tonight, then there's "Marco Polo" Season 2 & 3.... But it's on my list.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

I only got about halfway through by this morning before we had to go out for the entire day - just got back finally. But, it's very good. I normally don't think much of Will Smith as an actor - he's okay but he's...well, he's to acting what his music was to gangster rap, if that makes any sense. Pretty vanilla, not bad, not great, very middle of the road for the most part. He displays some talent in this one.

undercovergeek

'Ok ok we're going to die, it's going to be nasty ass titty bar dead, let's do this'

Barthheart

I enjoyed it. Nice to see something different for a change. Sure looks like a series setup pilot. I hope it makes it. I liked to know more about the "world".

Not a fan of the musical score not being a fan of rap music. My wife dismissed the whole thing as soon as that crap started playing.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on December 24, 2017, 06:49:03 AM
I enjoyed it. Nice to see something different for a change.

Same. 

Doubly worth watching due to being something unusual in big movies today.  In this case something in the urban fantasy genre, and for adults.   :bd:

I hope Netflix' upcoming Altered Carbon movie received comparable quality/funding.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Has anyone been watching 'Halt and catch fire'? It is a dramatic series set in the early 80's and concerns the IBM Clone Wars. Pretty nerdy stuff, but I watched the first episode and am looking forward to more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 24, 2017, 06:45:41 PM
Has anyone been watching 'Halt and catch fire'? It is a dramatic series set in the early 80's and concerns the IBM Clone Wars. Pretty nerdy stuff, but I watched the first episode and am looking forward to more.

I enjoyed the first season. 

Think I stopped watching somewhere in the middle of the second(?) because the same melodrama instigating formula kept being used.  Repetition ended my viewing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Watched Bright over night shift.  It was OK but I could have done with less of the heavy handed race/class warfare stuff.

I wish they'd used Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International books as the source material instead.  Trailer park elves, gangsta gnomes, and orcs who fly Hind gunships.  Could have been epic.

trailrunner

We finished season 3 of Broadchurch.  Not as good as the first two seasons, which was excellent, but still a very good show.

mirth

I watched Black Mirror S4E1 the other night. Hadn't watched the show before (though I had heard of it). The episode was excellent.

If you enjoy Twilight Zone style anthologies, you'll probably love Black Mirror.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

BanzaiCat

I watched the first two eps of Black Mirror (S1) and thought the social media one (the first episode) was memorable and great. The second one was pretty good too (think it was something about a haunted house? Been a while). I didn't realize it was in four seasons until yesterday, so I'll have to go back to it eventually.