Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

If it was good enough for Neil Armstrong....
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Yeah, it occurs to me this reply isn't exactly kosher. :)

[spoiler]"One small squirt for man...one giant load for mankind."[/spoiler]

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

:2funny: :DD :2funny:

Saw this one advertised a bit ago but didn't pay much attention to it. Just started watching it, and it's...it's...well, watch this. :)

BanzaiCat

This is one of the many UK programs I enjoy watching. I caught this for a brief time early last year and was fascinated by it because of how the legal system works (and doesn't work) in cases of re-possession in the UK. Netflix added the first two seasons recently though I think this is still going strong in the UK and is on series 6 or 7 by now.

BanzaiCat

I had The Inbetweeners on a lot during work - I'd already seen the series but I like having background noise on while I'm working - and it's quite a brilliant and funny, if coarse and gross, show. There's three series and two movies on Netflix and the humor is pretty well developed around a group of four English schoolkids that are just about to finish...well whatever it is the UK calls high school, before going to uni.

The actors are good at what they do, so when the second movie finished there was the usual Netflix promo, and in it I saw two of the actors from The Inbetweeners. Curious, I clicked on it. White Gold is the name.

It has a bit of a connotation that it's referring to cocaine. It DOES take place in the early 80s and there's a LOT of 80s music in it, which is not necessarily a bad thing. While the drug does come up, it's not what they're selling, so I'm interested in seeing how BBC can make a show about selling window frames entertaining. The first episode was quite funny...again, if this kind of humor is your bag.

mirth

Staggerwing

Good. The movie had it's flaws but was much better than critics said. My only real gripe was that there wasn't more deep world backstory alluded to, something that can be remedied with new scripts.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jamus34

I actually liked that they didn't do a deep dive on the history. To me it gave it the feel that it's kinda always the way it's been, were just two schmucks trying to survive in a shitty world.
Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: jamus34 on January 27, 2018, 08:11:54 PM
I actually liked that they didn't do a deep dive on the history. To me it gave it the feel that it's kinda always the way it's been, were just two schmucks trying to survive in a shitty world.

This. I enjoyed not having backstory delivered in a ham-fisted manner; it would have taken me out of the story.

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on January 27, 2018, 05:19:13 PM
Bright is getting a sequel

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bright-sequel-will-smith-david-ayer-expected-return-netflix-movie-1071188

Someone, in some comments section, suggested they'd love to see a series based on Bright's "Magic Division" enforcement agency.

Was the best idea I've heard for expanding on it.   :bd:

BanzaiCat

I still don't get the hate that some critics have spat out over Bright. Other than they're generally wankers to begin with.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2018, 04:09:35 PM
I still don't get the hate that some critics have spat out over Bright. Other than they're generally wankers to begin with.

People who review stuff generally are wankers :P

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 29, 2018, 04:17:43 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2018, 04:09:35 PM

People who review stuff generally are wankers :P

bob48

The obvious exception being those who review board games. O:-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!